We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I walk from Victoria Station to Rubens at the Palace

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Can I walk from Victoria Station to Rubens at the Palace

If I take the Gatwick Express to Victoria, how difficult is it to walk to Rubens at the Palace with luggage. Probably one fairly large, wheeled suitcase (40-45 pounds) and one backpack. I have some mobility issues, I can get up and down stairs myself but not carrying things and not fast enough if it were very crowded with people who would be annoyed at my slow pace!

Are there lifts/escalators at the station to get me to street level? And once there is it easy to walk to the hotel? Would I be crossing major crowded intersections where I would have to lift luggage up and down over curbs?

Any advice appreciated. I'm traveling alone so will have no help. If you think I'm better off just paying for a taxi, door-to-door let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Gatwick Express
Gatwick Express
437 Reviews
London, UK
The Rubens at the Palace
The Rubens at the Palace
4,530 Reviews
London, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,787 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I walk from Victoria Station to Rubens at the Palace

First thing, unless you plan to travel to London early in the morning on a weekday there is no need to pay for the GEX. Southern services are cheaper and take just five minutes more for the journey.

The National Rail platforms at Victoria are at grade. The walk from the rail station to the Rubens at the Palace will take about 10 minutes; you will have to cross busy roads but will be doing so with other pedestrians some of whom may be, like you, wheeling bags.

Use the way out of the station near M&S Simply Food; you'll see Terminus Place (the bus station) when you leave the station. Turn left for Buckingham Palace Road and then turn right at that road - watch for buses turning in to the station.

Cross Victoria Street, walk about 150m to Bressenden Place and cross that road as well. You'll see the Rubens on the right, just past the junction of BuckPal Road and Bressenden Place.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
The Rubens at the Palace
The Rubens at the Palace
4,530 Reviews
London, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,182 Reviews
London, UK
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I walk from Victoria Station to Rubens at the Palace

TP (as usual) has the details spot-on. You should be fine. I've gone in and out of the station and across all the roads many times (my usual hotel is nearby); it will be busy but just wait for the "Walk" signs and join the crowds.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I walk from Victoria Station to Rubens at the Palace

In addition to #1 IMO Southern Trains are actually easier to use/enter if you have luggage than the so called Gatwick Express trains.

Mentioned in this post
Gatwick Express
Gatwick Express
437 Reviews
London, UK
Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I walk from Victoria Station to Rubens at the Palace

Thank you, that's very helpful!

vnrose52 - what's your "usual" hotel, if I may ask?

Edited: 9:34 am, November 17, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I walk from Victoria Station to Rubens at the Palace

I had the same question as I also have mobility issues. I made reservations at the Grosvenor London. There is direct access from Victoria Station into the hotel. I will be there next month with my granddaughter and did not want to walk or take a cab.

Mentioned in this post
The Grosvenor Hotel
The Grosvenor Hotel
4,635 Reviews
London, UK
Victoria Station Hotel
Victoria Station Hotel
396 Reviews
London, UK
6. Re: Can I walk from Victoria Station to Rubens at the Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 16, 2013