We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Trinidad
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Hi, can anyone advise on what is the least hectic way to get from Premeir Inn Gatwick South to Commercial Road, London? My husband and I will be travelling with luggage so there's that small issue of lugging it around.

I do think taxi may be best but can anyone recommend a particular service? Thanks a lot.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Taxi is never the best option from Gatwick, nor are car services or coaches as the drive from Gatwick is a major pain.

Assuming you mean the Commercial Road in Tower Hamlets (there's more than one) then taking the train to London Bridge and taxi, if you have several steamer trunks, from there will be the best option

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Alan's right - it's a horribly slow car journey from Gatwick to Commercial Road. But First Capital Connect trains go from Gatwick to London Bridge in 30 minutes, and from there I'd hop in a cab if you have too much luggage to manage on public transport.

london
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

The OP is not travelling from Gatwick.

I'd be tempted to book a taxi if that bothered about baggage, it seems less bother than taxi - train - taxi.

A pretty congested journey by road it must be said. Better at 10pm I suppose.

Edited: 11:19 am, October 02, 2012
Trinidad
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Alan, yes I am referring to Commercial Road in Tower Hamlets...thank you. The luggage is not a lot, just a couple suitcases...so getting on and off the tube may not be too bad? After the train that is.

Somewhereinlondon, I will be staying at Premier Inn Gatwick South but I was actually thinking of getting back to gatwick to take the train for there, does that make sense?

Edited: 11:48 am, October 02, 2012
london
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Yes it does, presumably you would need a taxi for that though.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Any recommendations on a good taxi service?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Where about on the Commercial Road are you staying? If you're at the Aldgate East tube station end of Commercial Road, then you can get the Firxt Capital Connect Train from Gatwick to London Blackfriars and from there get the tube to Aldgate East tube station.

I wouldn't get a taxi from Gatwick to Commercial Road as it would take quite a bit of time and cost a small fortune. If you're not staying near the Aldgate East tube station end of or you don't fancy getting the tube at Blackfriars, then get the same FCC train from Gatwick but get off at London bridge instead and then get a taxi from there. Just follow the signs for the taxi rank and there should be plenty of taxis waiting.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Mick, I am staying closer to Aldgate East, your suggestion sounds good. Thank you all!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

if you are staying at the Ibis its literally next to Aldgate East tube station.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Commercial Road

Thanks everyone for your contributions...now any good place to eat in East London?

Edited: 6:13 am, October 03, 2012