We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luton Airport Drop Off

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Luton Airport Drop Off

For some reason which I cannot fathom Luton airport now seems to think it reasonable to charge £1 for the privilege of dropping someone off at the airport. You stop at the kerb in the drop off area, let your passenger out with their luggage - and than cannot leave without paying at an exit gate. This seems to me a little like charging to leave a shop after you've purchased something. You have to ask yourself what the justification is for such a cock-eyed and money grubbing scheme?

london
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

the charge has been in place for quite some time now, a few years I think ... while I'd agree I'm fed up having to pay for parking here,, there and everywhere, £1 is a fairly modest charge

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

You're right - it's not much - and that is why it comes across as greedy and cheese-pairing. If the charge allowed for you to use the maximum 10 minutes for helping the passenger into the terminal building then fair enough - but it's not - it's purely for dropping someone at the kerb. Walk away and you're towed.

london
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

I've experienced Luton both before and after the charge ... before the charge people left their cars and wandered off for quite a period of time, blocking the parking spaces near to the terminal building ... while I resent yet another parking charge I must admit that now you can be sure to be able to drop passengers near to the terminal building

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

While I take your point there is nothing to stop it being policed the way it is now. The staff are there - as they ever were. It's a money making exercise whichever way you look at it and feels like paying for the priveledge of paying to travel from that airport. Anyway - enough of all this. It was a rant and will make not a tuppence of difference I suspect so may as well drop it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

Free drop off is available

Turn right into the medium term car park just by the bridge about 200 metres before the charegable point. It is signed. Cars are allowed 1/2hour free park

(useful for picking up too)

Drop passengers and they get on free bus for 2-3 minute ride to terminal.

As suggested the charge at the top was because of inconsiderate people causing congestion and the charge and timer ensures they move on but don't think the airport can be criticised for the solution

London
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

The airport can and should be criticised. The pick up and drop off arrangements seem designed to make things as difficult as possible. It's a mess.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

Same at Lulsgate, which for some ludicrous reason now feels it necessary to call itself Bristol International.

Reading
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

The cashcow (Luton Airport) now have increased the charge to £2 for 15 minutes dropoff. This seems to fund the gestapo CCTV van that sits on the roundabout nicking people that want to dropoff people (in only a few seconds) but don't want to get ripped off by the £2 for 15 minutes. Yes of course you can walk a couple of minutes / take a bus but its a pain in the butt you don't need. How to lose customers in a few easy steps in my book.

Edited: 5:57 pm, May 06, 2013
London
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

Does anyone know how frequent the buses are from the Medium term car park to the departure point? The check in time is early at 6am so just wondering if there will be buses at that time. Also if I didn't want to wait for the bus, is it a long walk to the departure point? Would I be able to park for longer than half an hour a the Medium car park? How is it monitored? CCTV?

London, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luton Airport Drop Off

The authorities who run Luton airport have raised the price of this rip-off charge to £2. Who gives them the right to charge for this? Much of Luton airport is nothing but a scam. They use none of the monies which they raise to enhance the facilities. Luton Airport is a third-class, third world airport, a dump. The people who run it shame Britain. It would be enlightening to learn whose pockets are being lined by all the scam charges which they charge passengers.