We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qusetions about medicines

Dunedin,Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Qusetions about medicines

We will be in London in a month and we were curious. Between the two of us, we have about 5 prescriptions. If we put them in one container, will customs question us about different medicines in one container? I know that they don't take up a lot of room to pack them seperately, but it just seems easier to pack them all together.

Also, is it true that over the counter medicines in the US (tylenol, advil, etc.)are only available in the UK with a prescription? If this is the case, will have to pack even more pills.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,356 Reviews
from $131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from $139.80*
$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from $118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from $349.20*
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Qusetions about medicines

<<If we put them in one container, will customs question us about different medicines in one container?>>

There won't be anyone in customs when you arrive, just walk straigh through. They wouldn't care anyway, they've bigger fish to fry than tourists repacking medication.

<<Also, is it true that over the counter medicines in the US (tylenol, advil, etc.)are only available in the UK with a prescription?>>

Haha no. OTC medication is freely available parmacies, supermarkets etc. A brand name equivalent of Advil here is Nurofen (or just can just buy generic ibuprofen)

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qusetions about medicines

You can buy Neurofen or generic Ibuprofen in Boots, chemists & supermarkets.

There will be a cursory check when you pay to make sure you look old enough to purchase OTC medications.

IMO, don't take meds out of the package or bottle with prescription details on them. Just common sense. In an emergency of any kind, you'll want to know what is what at a moment's glance (that's you or any paramedic/doctor).

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qusetions about medicines

stop in any cvs and ask them for smaller bottles - they will give you some

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Qusetions about medicines

EmP is exactly right. Have your prescriptions handy just in case.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Qusetions about medicines

IN the UK you're able to buy paracetamol w/codeine otc (the equivalent of acetominiphen w/just a tiny bit of codeine) but unless things have changed, naprosyn (Aleve) is NOT available otc.

Keeping your precription bottle or prescriptions w/you is probably a good idea for the reasons given, but no, customs and/or airport security doean't care. I always have a purse full of medications packed every which way, & never is it my name on the bottle. Security has confiscated my blunt-tipped manicure scissors but never mentioned the pills.

Brighton, the...
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Qusetions about medicines

I take about 7 prescription meds with me, and have never been asked. I did take a letter from my heart doctor, stating why I needed them, just in case, but never needed it either time we went. This time, I packed all in my checked in luggage, except one of the plastic cases that carry a week's worth, which I put in the carry-on, so I wouldn't rattle as I walked but had enough to get by in case we had luggage problems. I also took a copy of the real prescription, just in case of loss or questions. Overprepared...maybe, but better safe than sorry.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Qusetions about medicines

Janie-Jones, that's good to know about Aleve. Without my two Aleve caplets twice daily I hobble around like grandpa on the Real McCoys. (Dating myself there)

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Qusetions about medicines

grammalg2, I've got you beat. I take 11 prescriptions daily and 2 on an "as needed" basis. (Too many years working on nuclear weapons, before they knew what prolonged exposure to intrinsic radiation could do) I think I've put my pharmacist's kids through university.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qusetions about medicines

I always carry my pills and inhalers in separate plastic baggies, without copies of any prescriptions and no one has ever questioned me about them.

Even when I was first to US Customs last November and had a thorough look through my bags (random search), the agent didn't say a word. She did hold up my plastic bag which had a chocolate muffin gone to pieces and said, "What's this?" When I explained what it was, she said, "Oh, well you can still eat it."

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qusetions about medicines

I put all my pills in a nifty pill holder with separate ziplock compartments for A.M. and P.M. doses. Never took the prescriptions along and no one has ever questioned or even looked at them. But I did have a banana confiscated in Houston once. I'm sure it was a killer banana and could have taken out the whole population of Texas.