We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Olympics Questions and Answers

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London Olympics Questions and Answers

(1) “Is this the correct place to find out about the London Olympics?”

We’re happy to help, but also look at the dedicated Olympics forum: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i13530-Olympi…

For questions about Olympics events outside of London, go to the United Kingdom forum: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186216-i15-Unit…

For non-related questions about London in general, look at the “London Forum: FAQ: frequently asked questions” thread at the top of the main page: http://tinyurl.com/4sgz5od

(2) “English is not my first language – can I still get advice?”

There are several other Trip Advisor forums for non-English speakers.

For example, here’s the Spanish speakers London forum: tripadvisor.es/ShowForum-g186338-i17-London_…

And the Italian speakers London forum: tripadvisor.it/ShowForum-g186338-i17-London_…

London is the largest multi-cultural city in which the Olympic Games has ever been held, and you’ll find your compatriots in London wherever you may be from. They’ll be happy to give you face to face advice.

(3) “I saw the CBS news broadcast from London yesterday, where someone described it as a paramilitary games and that the transport system was collapsing under the strain, how badly should I be worried or scared?”

Relax, it’s all going to be fine. Just allow for delays and enjoy the experience. In fact, statistically you are much more likely to have a fatal accident in a shower than on a street in London, so just keep calm and carry on.

(4) “Gosh, I hadn’t realised that British showers were so dangerous, should I just take baths?”

Look, forget about the showers, OK? That was simply a figure of speech. The important thing to understand is that London is an extremely safe city.

(5) “You’re quite rude. May I talk to someone else, please?”

Sorry, perhaps it’s because of the current heatwave in London. To ask a question, click on the “Ask a question” button at the top of the list of topics. Or you can click on someone’s name and then send them a personal message. Best of all, use the search box to see if your question has already been asked.

(6) “What’s the weather like at present?”

For the next week (until 1 August) it’s forecast to be mainly dry, warm and sunny with an occasional rainshower. For information later than that, go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

(7) “Is there accommodation still available in London?”

Apparently, some hotels have been lowering their prices because they haven’t sold out, so you could contact them directly or look at a website such as: http://www.laterooms.com/

The London FAQs thread has lots of information about this: http://tinyurl.com/4sgz5od

(8) “Can I still buy tickets to Olympic events?”

Some are still being sold each day, but many nationalities have to buy them through their own national organisations even if you are in London? Start by looking here:

http://www.tickets.london2012.com/

(9) “Are there any Olympic events that I can see without buying tickets?”

Yes! There are the men’s and women’s cycle road races, and the men’s and women’s marathons. The first of these is the men’s road race on this Saturday 28 July with the British cyclist Mark Cavendish as one of the favourites.

(10) “Are there any big screens in London to watch the Opening Ceremony or the Games?"

Go to http://www.btlondonlive.com/

The three most central are in Hyde Park: london2012.com/join-in/…

In Victoria Park very near to the Olympic Stadium: london2012.com/join-in/…

And just south of Tower Bridge: london2012.com/join-in/…

There will also be special events in Trafalgar Square throughout the Olympics

(11) “I hate sport, I don’t know why I’m actually here. Is there anything else to do in London?”

Time Out magazine is the best for listing lots of things to do each day in the capital. The London Evening Standard daily newspaper is free and is also a must read for Londoners. There is also the “Cultural Olympiad” which is running at the same time as the Sporting Olympiad.

www.timeout.com/london

(12) “Where are the tourist offices, what is an Oyster card, where can I get cut-price theatre tickets, how much should I tip, can you recommend a really good place for afternoon tea?”

Have we mentioned the London FAQs? http://tinyurl.com/4sgz5od

Edited: 7:06 pm, July 25, 2012
Essex
Level Contributor
27,629 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

Love it Glyn

especially No 4)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

Good job, Glyn! You covered all the usual bases (including the ubiquitous weather question).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

It's so nice to know that someone else reads and enjoys Pass Notes. This one is worthy of being in the paper (alerts Grauniad).

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

Thanks you three. But please add your own questions with answers on this thread.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

Great work Glyn! love number 5!

Question, "I have tickets to an event--how do I get there?"

(below info from

london2012.com/spectators/…

"Spectators with a ticket for a London 2012 sports event or ceremony in or around London will receive a free Games Travelcard.

This is valid for use on public transport in London zones 1–9 on the day of your event. It can be used on London Underground, London Overground, Docklands Light Railway, buses, trams and National Rail services – but not on Heathrow, Stansted or Gatwick Express trains, or for taxis/private hire vehicles.

You will be able to use your Games Travelcard on the Javelin® service between St. Pancras and Stratford International stations and to and from Watford Junction, and will be entitled to one-third off the cost of the 2012 Games river bus express or the 2012 Games river tour service

View a map of the area covered by the Games Travelcard [PDF]

Travelling to venues outside London

If you have a ticket for an event at Brands Hatch, Eton Dorney, Hadleigh Farm or the Lee Valley White Water Centre, you’ll also receive a Games Travelcard.

As well as being valid on public transport in London zones 1–9, you can use your Games Travelcard to travel by National Rail between London and Sevenoaks (for Brands Hatch); Slough and Windsor & Eton Riverside (for Eton Dorney); Leigh-on-Sea (for Hadleigh Farm); and Cheshunt (for Lee Valley White Water Centre).

If you have a ticket for an event at a co-Host City venue, you will not receive a Games Travelcard to use on public transport. These venues are: Weymouth and Portland; the City of Coventry Stadium, Coventry; Old Trafford, Manchester; Millennium Stadium, Cardiff; Hampden Park, Glasgow; and, St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Select a venue for more information on how to reach co-Host Cities

If you are planning to come to London before, or stay after, the day of your event, you can make getting around London easier by buying a Visitor Oyster card before you leave home. "

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

Nice one Glynn.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

Well done Glynn, great thread!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,713 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

Q: How crowded will London be during the Olympics?

A: As crowded as London usually is at the height of Summer

Q: What can I do to avoid all the Olympic chaos, craziness and the price hikes?

A: Come in 2013. London will still be here.

Edited: 4:44 am, July 26, 2012
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

One thing I think visitors should be warned about is touching in and out (I'm talking about PAYG Oyster here!). It is very easy to forget on the DLR as there are no barriers to remind you. It is also possible to get into trouble at stations where trains from out of London meet Tubes, with no barriers between them. One place where people have got into unintended trouble over this is (of all places) Stratford, as people sometimes jump off trains when they see a Central Line train just a few yards away on the adjoining platform. When you see a Tube train about to leave it can be all to easy to forget about touching in.

I do hope ticket inspectors have instructions to be understanding about this.

Edited: 6:22 pm, July 26, 2012
London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Olympics Questions and Answers

Question: "What are the best apps for the Olympics in London?"

Answer: "Here are the 10 most useful apps, according to yesterday's Independent newspaper: http://tinyurl.com/cvdzfgo

Edited: 11:30 am, July 27, 2012