We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

Delaware
8 posts
Save Topic
British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

Has anyone had experience with British Airways new World Traveller Plus premier economy class? When I was researching prices for my tickets they gave the option to upgrade regular economy to this premier economy and I was wondering if it would be worth the extra cash. It's not terribly expensive but I am unsure if the difference in the two classes would be that important to me. Just wondering if you thought it was a wise choice. Thanks for your help.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

Yes, I have. It's nice to have the extra few inches of leg room, but be aware that there is no other difference in class. You'll get the same food as in Economy, but a less busy WC. What you are paying for is the extra leg room.

This same question was asked and discussed in detail here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k32087…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

Economy seats...think of as packed like sardines, Traveller Plus, more leg room, slightly wider seats and the window seating is in twos not threes. In other words MORE comfortable. Your carry-on baggage allowance probably increases as well with Plus.

If and when I fly with BA again I shall try to book Plus seats for my husband and I. You can see the difference just looking at them.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

Because I have to do a 13 hour leg from Buenos Aires to London, having already flown the Santiago to B.A., I decided to go WTP premier economy. The seats are wider and you have fewer seats in the WTP area. You still have the same food and use the same toilets as normal economy. You get double carry-on allowance but the same checked luggage allowance. I found it to be worth the extra cost as it was more comfortable. I am not as young nor as flexible as I used to be.It was nice having the extra weight allowance for my carry-on too.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

I've always found it well worth the extra cash to book World Traveler Plus. Wider,(more luxurious)seats, fewer seats in a row, more distance between seats. You do seem, too, to get a little extra attention from flight attendants and, at least, first choice of the entrees so that your selection is not "out" by the time the trolley gets to you. You are not immune, however, to screaming youngsters. On my last flight, my nice, comfy seat was located just in front of a family with two kids, one of whom screamed all the way from Gatwick to Atlanta....don't know for whom I felt the sorriest, the child, the parents or myself! (It didn't seem that the parents had brought along any snacks, books, toys or other diversions....or sedatives!! It was a bit of a tense crowd that de-planed in Atlanta.)

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

marlismi: I haven't yet upgraded to WT (I have almost enough miles to get a free Club ticket for next year). But on my last flight I found an empty seat and plopped down to check it out. I noticed that you can't raise the armrests. I didn't like that aspect especially because I was sitting in WT and had two and a half seats to myself by raising the armrests.

Topeka, KS, USA
Level Contributor
546 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

My only life goal at this point in my career is to be able to travel business class on overseas trips (and we only make a couple a year). So when husband talked me into WT+ last trip I was going to be very, very hard to convince. It actually was OK; not sure Im ready to give up my only goal in life, but WT+ is miles better than regular coach!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

On my last two trips Phoenix to London I was able to upgrade to WTP: The first time, in late December I paid $238 RT over economy fare (about $700); for my trip in March, I booked a deeply web-only discounted WTP fare of $310 roundtrip, plus taxes. It really makes a difference to me to have the extra leg room and---how can I put it----a few extra inches for my rather ample behind. I even got the full mileage allowance for the cheap fare, which is, I believe, a 25% bonus.

Austin, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

BA upgraded me on a Dubai to London flight and I can tell you that it was great. Not business class but a much more comfortable ride.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

WT+ is definitely worth the money, just for the legroom. If you think you'll be flying with BA a fair amount, or even once a year, join the Executive Club.

WT fares get 0.25 EC miles per mile flown, but WT+ gets 1.25 miles per mile flown - with just 25,000 miles, you can buy a WT+ fare and upgrade it (if there are seats available) to Club World (soon to get yet another face-lift) - miles for upgrade is one of the best deals BA offers.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways economy class vs. World Traveller Plus

Angel,islington, where did you find those fares? I'm searching right now for fares for Sept and am a long way from what I'm after! Any tips on other than Travelocity and the BA website are really welcomed.