We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at a hair salon

Burlingame...
Level Contributor
259 posts
8 reviews
12 helpful votes
Tipping at a hair salon

I will be getting my hair cut & colored at a salon in Covent Garden. How much should I tip the hairdresser?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
70 reviews
66 helpful votes
51. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

I reckon that my hairdresser charges me £30/£40 per hour, possibly more. Even after taking into account dyes, shampoos, cups of tea, trashy mags and general expertise that still makes me think the employee and her boss are turning a decent profit.

I tend to tip a few quid when I know she is off on holiday. Otherwise nothing.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
52. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

Tracey H ( post#42 ) clearly has far more money than sense, or is an obvious Wum. I suspect a combination of both. :-(

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
21,146 posts
76 reviews
95 helpful votes
53. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

I gave my barberess ( I just made that up - it's a woman who cuts my hair!) a 50p tip last Xmas, and only because I had no change. So she got £8 instead of the usual £7.50.

By the way, why has this thread from last year been dragged back out of Room 101? :-/

Sorry, but I've got no free Heinz ketchup to give you love, so go away!

54. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:24 am, February 12, 2015
Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
8,110 posts
79 reviews
134 helpful votes
55. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

My tip takes the form of the wisdom I dispense. It's priceless.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
56. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

My hairdresser charges £4 for a dry cut, that's what I give her.

Also, if in the supermarket my bill comes to £48.50 I dont tell the cashier to 'keep the change'. I used to do the weekly wages for 500+ people, if they had all given me £1 a week for doing so that would have been twice my wages. (No-one ever did, so why should I?)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
21,146 posts
76 reviews
95 helpful votes
57. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

I was in Penny Lane Wine Bar across the road from Tony Slavins barbers (formely Biolleti's which is the barbers that features in the Beatles song "Penny Lane") which is where I actually go to get my hair cut (good value for money, I highly recommend them!).

The barmaid served me a pint and said £2.80 please (absolute bargain!), so I gave her 3 £1 coins. I was waiting for my 20p change and she put the 20p in the tips jar. I said, "excuse me, can I have my 20p change please!". She looked shocked, as if it was normal to put peoples change in the tips jar.

She handed me the 20p and I jokingly said "I'm not made of money!" to which we both laughed. I walked away with my pint and called her a rude word under my breath!

There's another pub I go to which bizarrely charges £2.97 for a pint; and yes, I always wait for my 3p change. ;-p

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
7 reviews
18 helpful votes
58. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

The only tip going in my local pub is "don't eat the pies"

I can remember when pints were 98p and counting the 2ps the next morning was how I worked out how much I'd drunk the night before :-)

59. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, November 06, 2013
60. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, November 06, 2013