We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at a hair salon

Burlingame...
Level Contributor
259 posts
8 reviews
12 helpful votes
Tipping at a hair salon

I will be getting my hair cut & colored at a salon in Covent Garden. How much should I tip the hairdresser?

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
122 reviews
80 helpful votes
41. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

Yawn.............whatever makes you feel better about being a tight-wad. :rollseyes:

Guildford, United...
1 post
42. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

i have my hair cut in guildford cut and finish costs £64.00 i still tip £20 to the hairdresser and £8.00 to the girl how washes my hair and i always wonder if thats ok

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
11 reviews
13 helpful votes
43. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

>>i have my hair cut in guildford cut and finish costs £64.00 i still tip £20 to the hairdresser and £8.00 to the girl how washes my hair and i always wonder if thats ok<<

You see, this is what I don't get. You're already paying them £64, why do you think they deserve another £28? If they're charging that much they're clearly not short of a bob or two.

Edited: 4:21 pm, September 21, 2013
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
148 reviews
90 helpful votes
44. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

I just can't believe what I have just read!

Sorry but this is just crazy in my opinion. How on earth do you justify tipping to this extreme extent?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
45. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

A £28 tip on a £64 cut? Are you mucking fad?

Oh, hello, welcome to the London Forum. :-)

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
15 reviews
27 helpful votes
46. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

Tracey - please come back and tell us that post was a wind-up.

I got my haircut on Thursday in Croydon. The bloke did my eyebrows and everything. It was a tenner so I gave him an extra pound. We were both happy with the deal.

Mike

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
21 reviews
46 helpful votes
47. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

£28 on a £64 cut ! Doom - the Yanks are coming !

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
7 reviews
18 helpful votes
48. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

<< £8.00 to the girl how washes my hair >>

I'm a bloke.

I don't pay £8 for a haircut!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
13 reviews
15 helpful votes
49. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

I had my hair done yesterday. My hairdresser sold her salon a few years ago and has since worked from home (she has a room converted in her home so that it has a basin, normal salon chairs et al). I had foils, a tint, haircut, blowdry, my eyebrows tinted & waxed and she waxed my top lip too. $120 (approx. £70), no tip. Even if I was going to a 'normal' salon, I'd ask how much at the end and pay that amount, no tip. Businesses calculate their prices to include a profit margin, so I don't understand this 'need' to throw extra money at them.

london
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
22 reviews
16 helpful votes
50. Re: Tipping at a hair salon

my regular stylist gets very embarrassed if I tip her ... I don't tip every time, maybe every other time about £2-3, but then I usually have my hair done when I'm up in north Wales (maybe the locals don't consider tipping up there)