We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

For the first time visitor to London, what months are the best for weather. We would like to take as many walking tours as the week will allow and prefer months with the lowest amount of rain and warm temperatures. Thank You for your help.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

As you are probably aware British weather is very unpredictable!!

Check out the MET OFFICE website for weather reports.

Best months (again difficult to predict!!) are June, July, August and possibly September.

It's very cold and rainy at the moment...!!

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

what kind of weather are you having now? we are coming in march and hope the freezing temps will be gone............... is that not the case?

Swindon, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

As said before, British weather is very unpredictable. March can be lovely but then we've had snow in May before so who knows. Generally it's starting to get warm again in March though so 'shouldn't' be freezing.

London, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

Yeah, I would agree that June-September is the best time - although I don't believe we actually had anything that could be called a 'summer' last year :(

It really is luck of the draw and in fact there has been some wonderful weather this January (not warm though!)

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Larry, I understand your concern with weather. We have taken six trips to the U.K. and getting out and talking long walks is one of our main joys. Lack of rain is very important in this aspect but I'll ask you this. You say you want warm weather. Do crowds matter to you? Do you want to enjoy the major wonders of London like Westminster Abbey, The Tower, St. Paul's etc. in relative quiet, or do you just accept the fact that packed crowds like Disneyland in summer are to be accepted and dealt with? Summer in the U.K. notably August will be jammed with tourists, kids off school and lots of locals off work. I would consider an "off" month. We always have gone in winter. Rain has not been much of a problem, and perhaps we have been lucky. Cold weather is actually much more energizing for long walks tham warm or hot weather. I also believe cold weather just adds to London's ambience, And as any Londoner will tell you, London wasn't built for hot weather. My opinion.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

I heartily endorse Pub-7's opinion. We have visited in February for the past several years. Rain, one day, snow squall for ablout 15 minutes a couple of days. Many sunny days. Temperatures ranging from 30 to 60F. We definitely have lucked out. No crowds though, very pleasurable time to see the sights sans 'tourists'. Again, these are my personal experiences and opinion. Weather is weather and whether it will be sunny or rainy it's up to whomever controls that sort of thing, if you get my drift. Poppa

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

Poppa, were you there in Feb 2000? That was our first time. We were there from the 17th - 23rd. Cheers, Pub

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather

P7, yes we were. Don't have the exact dates here, it was during school vacation, my wife is a teacher so we base holidays on her schedule. Poppa

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather

Poppa, my girlfriend is a teacher and I'm a school supervisor (same school) So you know how it is. We also like to tack personal days on to the front of the winter break so as to come and go before everyone really starts travelling. Took the extra days and hooked them up with Thanksgiving in 03. Nice as well. Cheers, Pub

Apex, NC
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather

I agree with Pub-7 as well. London weather really doesn't matter when you're there : you'll find that the mere charm of the city warms you. Rain comes, but it goes just as quickly and I recall the last (2) times I was in the UK [once in March or April, and the other time in August] I enjoyed each trip equally. There is no bad time to be had in the UK (be it in London or some other part of the country) ! Cheers...