We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funny Question?

Northern Kentucky
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Funny Question?

So, one day in London (actually I think we were on our way to Dover Castle) some of us saw this sign that read: "Danger Cat's Eyes Removed." It was on a big diamond shaped sign, right next to the road. It looked a lot like a construction sign, except there was no construction. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone knew about these or has seen these? Thanks so much!!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Funny Question?

I would suspect the sign was there for locals who may have been used to them and would be confused by the lack of them. It's likely that the road had been recently retarmaced and the council were awaiting the new cats eyes.

It would seem strange for them to have been removed permanently. Do any other locals know of a reason if and why that would be so?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Funny Question?

They're called cats eyes of course because they reflect the light like cats eyes. (When the damn things jump out in front of your car in the middle of the night......!)

Brighton, the...
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Funny Question?

You people get all the fun sayings! A few of which (I found out) "they" tend to bleep!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Funny Question?

I remember seeing the man who invented cats' eyes on Blue Peter or Saturday Superstore (children's programmes). It has stuck in my mind.

My favourite sign was at a stately home somewhere which had sheep who were lambing. The sign was intended to make you careful as you drove, but CAUTION LAMBS made me think about mutant killer lambs. Rrrrrargh bleat.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Funny Question?

LOL to all of this. Blind cats, killer mutant lambs. What next?

Brighton, the...
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Funny Question?

All sounds sort of Stephen King-ish doesn't it?

London
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Funny Question?

A road sign that always makes me chuckle is " BEWARE! HEAVY PLANT CROSSING"

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Funny Question?

If the road was a plow route then that might be a reason for permanent removal--they are picked off by plows and in areas of the US/Canada where there is heavy or frequent snowfall they are not used: reflective paint is used instead.