We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings cross to heathrow

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kings cross to heathrow

Hi

I need to travel from St pancras/Kings cross to Heathrow Terminal 3 in November in the evening.

Can anyone please recommend the best way to travel?

Ive looked up the heathrow express but its quite expensive and i think it is only from Paddington which takes 20 minutes from Kingscross just to get to paddington

Ive looked up tubes and it looks like the picadilly line straight there is a long journey, is this the best way?

thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kings cross to heathrow

Piccadilly line *is* the best way. The journey takes about an hour, but it's direct and no changes. The single cash fare is 5GBP.

Depending on what time in the evening (and which day) the train may get crowded with commuters as it heads through London. But the crowds should start to thin out after Earls Court.

Make sure you take the train signed as Terminals 1,2,3&5. Those marked 4&1,2,3 stop for 10 minutes at T4 and would therefore take much longer to get to T123.

Edited: 5:27 pm, October 08, 2011
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kings cross to heathrow

As USBT says, tube is definitely the best way, if its busy due to rush hour (you dont say what time) it will be even worse on the tube to Paddington plus you may have a lot of stairs to negotiate to get to the HEX.

Try and avoid getting on between 530-630, even if that means going a little earlier.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kings cross to heathrow

The journey on the Underground can be made - thank goodness - step free.

If you walk out of KX station towards Euston Road (near the rail booking office) you'll see stairs leading down to the ticket hall - just to the right of those stairs you'll see a tiny lift. Take it to level -2 for the Piccadilly line ticket hall.

There is a wide gate for your bags at the far left as you face the ticket barriers. Sit near(ish) the front of the train to be nearest the way out at LHR T1,3. There is an escalator up from the train platform to ticket hall at the LHR station, then a bit of a walk to T3.

There should be trolleys near the Underground station at the airport and there are travelators en route to make the schlep easier. There is a lift up from the Underground level to Departures at T3 as well.

Allow about 70 minutes for the entire journey from KX to T3 Departures, maybe a bit longer.

Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kings cross to heathrow

The tube is generally the best way to go (I ended up doing the Express to and from London which is much more expensive but quicker ride).

As TravellerPlus mentioned, King's Cross is one of the friendlier stations for luggage as there are lifts. The tube can get VERY crowded around peak hour though.

There is a LOT of trackwork being done in the lead up to the Olympics on weekends. I recommend you check the transport website calendar to see if you may be affected as I see there are closures up to Heathrow (tfl.gov.uk/livetravelnews/…default.aspx). There are replacement buses but you'd need to factor extra time.

Yes, I had a lot of fun with several line closures when I was over recently.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kings cross to heathrow

Thank you, all the replies are really helpful and i will take the tube!

6. Re: Kings cross to heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 26, 2012