We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant near British Museum

canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant near British Museum

My Hubbie and I will be at the British Museum till closing (8:30 pm)on the Thurs night and are looking for a good restaurant nearby that is not too expensive. We are not going until the end of May so if I have to make reservations, it's not a problem. Any suggestions?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from $125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from $104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from $148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from $100.10*
London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

There are several places close to the BM - all relatively relaxed & informal sothat pre-booking may not be essential.

Usual culprits: Wagamama on Streatham Street, several nice restaurants on Museum Street (incl a Thai). The Italian Kitchen on Bloomsbury Way got a good TALF review.

Go slightly further afield & you'll come into Covent Garden where you'll find some great places which will need booking. I like Chez Gerard which is on the 1st floor of the piazza for good Fr. nosh & steaks. Rules is nearby for slap up traditional British nosh.

Just a few to start with....

USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

Before popping in there, on one of the side streets just in front of the Museum is an adorable shop - Playin' Games, hundreds of games & puzzles. Blue fronted store.

I know you didn't ask, but advice is free, yeah?

London
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

Try www.toptable.co.uk - you can search by tourist attraction. I had a look and i can't say i have dined at any of the ones that came up but there will be dinner ratings that are a really good guide.

If you want somewhere really fun try My Old Dutch in Holborn (you wouldnt need to book) - a Pancake resturant of all things. For something a bit more special the Savoy is a cab ride a way - watch out though very expensive but very, very good.

To be honest though most resturants wouldnt be much more than a cab ride away from there so i would recommend not staying in that area, Brian Turners often has fantasic deals on and that really is impressive. There is even an American resturant (Christopher's) which is in Covent Garden - truly excellent.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

Great Spanish tapas can be had at Fino Restaurant, 33 Charlotte St. It's worth looking at www.toptable.co.uk, as they often have special offers associated with this restaurant.

I've recently heard good things about Savoir Faire, 42 New Oxford Street. Read reviews here: http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2459.htm

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

One of our favorite London restaurants is just minutes from the British Museum. It's an Italian restaurant called Il Fornello. It's on Southampton Row - from the museum, walk to Southampton Row and turn left (towards Russell Square.) It's on the same side of street as the Bonnington Hotel and The Russell Hotel (east, I believe.)

Very good Italian food, fantastic service and very reasonable prices. We try to make it a point of eating there whenever we're in London.

London
Level Contributor
893 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

Almost next door to the British Museum (in what used to be the shop, in fact) is Tas, part of a small chain of Turkish restaurants. I've never eaten at that one, but I have found their other restaurants to be excellent, and very cheap. See http://www.tasrestaurant.com

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

Didn't even realise that there was a Tas by the BM, but I too have eaten at one (by Southwark station) and agree that it's very good.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

Almost opposite the main entrance of the British Museum is a small street with a little Thai restaurant. Very good.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

Yes, I was going to suggest the Thai restaurant too - when I have meetings w/BM staff, that's where we go! I can't find their card, but I think it's called Thai Garden Cafe, 32 Museum Street.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant near British Museum

That sounds like the one I was thinking of.