We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

Hello all,

We're arriving at Terminal 5 at LHR on Nov. 26 (around 11 AM - noon). On Nov. 28, around 8 PM, we depart to New Delhi from Terminal 3.

I want to stay in the Heathrow area but am very confused. I like the idea of staying in one of the Bath Road hotels (Sheraton Skyline?) but can't seem to understand if Hotel Hoppa runs from Terminal 5, or even if this is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport.

I've also checked out the Hilton, which is apparently adjacent to Terminal 4. Is this close enough to walk to from Terminal 5? Also, is the Hilton isolated with nothing nearby? Would it be difficult to get from the Hilton to Terminal 3 for our departing flight?

I've read posts comparing the Sheraton Heathrow with the Skyline. The Heathrow is definitely a better deal, but some people say it is isolated.

The only things we are planning to do during these 2 days is meet friends for lunch or dinner, and visit Windsor Castle.

Thanks for your help!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,662 Reviews
from $122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,249 Reviews
from $112.50*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
746 Reviews
from $102.40*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,873 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

T4 and T5 are located at opposite ends of Heathrow, about as far apart as one can get and still be on the airport property. But having said that, it may be easier to make your way from T5 to T4 for the Hilton then back to T3 for your flight to DEL (free 482 or 490 bus from one terminal building to the other tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…heathrowterminal5-14065.pdf )

Rather than faff about with the Hoppa at £9 return per person, if you do choose the Sheraton at Colnbrook a taxi may be the best choice of transport from T5. You will need to take either a taxi from the Sheraton Heathrow to T3 or one of the numbers 75 or 76 to the Central Bus Station, located at T3 Arrivals. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,809 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

Why are you staying for two nights at a Heathrow hotel. It makes no sense. Either travel into central London or take a prebooked taxi to Windsor.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

I would stay in Windsor itsekf- if you don't want to go into central London. Not far by car from LHR and not particularly expensive if you prebook a cab service.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

I agree, stay in Windsor, and take a prebooked taxi in both directions.

For a couple of days stay, plus meeting friends, its FAR preferable to staying in either of a sterile airport hotel, or the Bath Road (hotel strip) areas , there is plenty to do in the town, lots of choices where to meet your friends, parking is easier for them, access is easier if they are not travelling by car, frankly this is a situation for which the term "no brainer" was invented.

Edited: 6:21 am, September 11, 2011
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

Thanks everyone for your help.

The reason we're choosing to stay at an airport hotel is quite simple: COST.We'll be spending three weeks in India, and it won't be cheap ... figured I could save some money this way, and we would rather spend on food, entertainment, etc., than on lodging.

As for staying in Windsor, that's a thought. Thing is, my cousins live in Oxford. It's easy for them to get to Heathrow via bus (they're churchmouse academics and don't have a car). Not sure I want to put them through further hassle, although I'm sure there are buses from Oxford to Windsor as well.

We have a 10 hour flight from Los Angeles and a 10 hour flight to Delhi two and a half days later. I just want someplace familiar (yes, I admit it) and comfortable so we can do the best with our unavoidable jet lag. We will have a similar time span in London between 12/16 and our flight home on 12/19, and maybe we'll stay in town then. Last summer we chose a hotel (the Rubens) down the road from Buckingham Palace and loved it -- but it was over $600 USD for 3 nights, and that's just too much.

Anyone have an opinion about the Windsor Marriott?

Thanks again,

Sylvia

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,995 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

Sylvia,

It does of course depend on what you plan to do but for most people staying our near the airport or in Slough is a false economy. The extra time as well as the cost of getting to and from central London soon adds up to make for a less than enjoyable experience.

In your case things are slightly different but getting from Oxford to some Heathrow hotels is harder than say getting a coach from Oxford directly into central London because of the need to switch from coach to local bus or Hoppa bus at the airport. The Windsor Marriott being a case in point. Nice hotel but NOT in Windsor and awkward to reach.

Coach services from Oxford to central London are fast, cheap and frequent because of competition. They terminate in Victoria (not that far from the Rubens!) and there are scores of decent B&B type hotels (as well as some grotty ones) within a short walk of the coach station. Please let us know if you want some recommendations.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

<<not sure I want to put them through further hassle>>

The hassle would be going by coach !

Sure, coaches go from Oxford to Heathrow. However, unless you stay at one of the (generally expensive) on-airport hotels, your friends will then have to trek back out to your off-airport hotel. They could get a train ticket Oxford to Windsor (return) by train for £14.30, whereas by coach to Heathrow its £24.50 return PLUS the Hoppa return to hotel (another £10 each), or a slow free bus). THAT is hassle :-)

You are going to Windsor anyway. Instead of going to off airport hotel then to Windsor then back to off-airport hotel, why not just go to Windsor?

Unfortunately the only thing about the Windsor Marriott being in Windsor is the name, its nowhere near Windsor. It will certainly be hassle for your friends to get to, for whom a train into Windsor or London would be the easiest thing by far.

Post on the Windsor forum for ideas about hotels.

Edited: 3:19 am, September 12, 2011
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

There's a Travelodge right in the centre of Windsor that might suit you (King Edward Court, lots of shops and restaurants right on the doorstep) but post on the Windsor Forum for more ideas.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,802 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

The Windsor Travelodge is very cheap and cheerful, and you'll be spoilt for choice in terms of restaurants, things to do, evening walks.

As Joe so well points out in post 7, your friends will spend more time and money getting to you at Heathrow than they would getting to Windsor. And which experience would suit you all better?

10. Re: Heathrow -Terminals 5 and 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 20, 2012