We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food carts in London?

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
368 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
food carts in London?

Are there especially good areas to buy lunch at a food cart?

You can eat very well that way in NYC, but I don't know about London. Are food carts popular with residents?

I'm not especially interested in hot dogs or felafel, something more like a good curry.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Amrutha Lounge
$$ - $$$, Indian, Asian, Thai
Laurent at Cafe Royal
$$$$, Japanese, Seafood, Sushi
Prime Gelato
$, Italian, Cafe, Deli
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,346 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food carts in London?

Most seem to be run by dubious characters with no hygiene.

At least those that sell those disgusting nuts...

London, England
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food carts in London?

We don't really have many of the carts I see in American movies, and the few street vendors you encounter have the (possibly undeserved) reputation of being poorly regulated and liable to sell low-grade, or even toxic condemned processed meat products. Search TA London Forums (box above) for the very many budget curry restaurants or pubs

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food carts in London?

There are very popular mobile food outlets in Leather Lane most days. I have never eaten from them as the many fixed shops have offered more than enough choice.

"Food carts" to a Londoner mean hand pushed trolleys almost entirely run by gangs and never sanitary. Never, ever buy from one of these. The food is never thrown away at the end of the day and is just reheated. Also the seller never bothers to take a break away from the cart ! I will leave the consequences of that to your imagination.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,738 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food carts in London?

The 'food carts' - such as they are in London -are to be avoided and have been largely hounded out of town for selling dire, unhygienic food (loose description).

There are however some food stalls which sell good cheap, hot food at lunchtimes in Exmouth market, and Lower Marsh and probably other similar locations in London. The latter has an excellent stall which sells Thai curries at lunch times. There are sandwich shops all over the place, supermarkets (some of which sell hot takeaway) and chains like Leon, Pret and Eat which do sandwiches, salads and soups to eat in or take away.

And of course there's Borough Market on Thurs/Fri/Sats.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Exmouth Market
Exmouth Market
57 Reviews
London, UK
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
Borough Market
Borough Market
10,935 Reviews
London, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,554 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food carts in London?

The mobile food outlets in Leather Lane are worth a look as are those at Whitecross Street market, not far from Old Street roundabout. Broadway Market (Saturdays) has a handful of them as well.

The Jollof Pot in Exmouth Market has the most enticing aroma: rice and spice, mmm.

Mentioned in this post
Whitecross Street Market
Whitecross Street Market
99 Reviews
London, UK
Broadway Market
Broadway Market
260 Reviews
London, UK
Exmouth Market
Exmouth Market
57 Reviews
London, UK
Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
368 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food carts in London?

Very glad I asked! Do office workers tend to use the food stalls or just bring bagged lunches?

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food carts in London?

Office workers use local sandwich shops, chains like Pret a Manger and Eat, pubs, cafes, restaurants - whatever's around.

Mentioned in this post
Pret a Manger
Pret a Manger
2,412 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food carts in London?

Goulston Street just east of the City has a great collection of vans and stalls selling hot food on week-day lunch-times.

Edited: 2:13 pm, August 12, 2011
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food carts in London?

Can't say I've seen a single food cart in 7 years here, save for one hot dog cart whose owner was legging it from approaching police in Holborn late one night. I must go to the wrong areas of town.

What do we do for lunch? I usually go to small cafes for a panini, maybe to a sandwich shop, sometimes a noodle bar or salad bar like "Tossed" and sometimes the pub. If I'm not so flush I'll take a packed lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Holborn
Holborn
63 Reviews
London, UK
Tossed
Tossed
97 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: food carts in London?

I go to the caf. The thai stall on Lower Marsh that parkandwalk mentions above is absolutely delicious.

I often find myself arranging meetings around Waterloo as an excuse to eat in Lower Marsh.