We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

rhode island
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

Other than the five stops on the way to the airport, is there any downside to using the connect train instead of the Heathrow Express?

Time is not an issue.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

HEX is a dedicated train and should have right of way on the line between the airport and Paddington (or vice versa). The rolling stock is fairly new and has reasonably comfortable seats. There is entertainment (BBC or Sky news I think) available in all carriages except the Quiet Coach. Connect is part of the commuter rail system so there won't be as much space for baggage, trains will run twice instead of four times an hour, and the journey takes longer.

But if you've not booked a hotel or flat near Paddington then taking either may be a bit counterproductive as you'll have to carry on travelling from that rail station. And if two or more are travelling then - even with the current HEX discount on return travel - a booked car service may cost about the same as two HEX tickets and take you door to door.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

Where are you ultimately heading to?

The HEC is substantially cheaper at £8.50pp. The trains only run every 30 minutes, and from the Central station (T1-3). So, if you are arriving at T4 or T5, you will have to take the HEX (as a free shuttle) to T1-3 and wait there for between 9 and 39 minutes.

Unless your final destination is (or you're taking an onward train from) Paddington, you may find the tube from Heathrow to be a better, and cheaper still option.

rhode island
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

This is just a one way trip to the airport as I will be coming in from Brussels a couple of days earlier and staying at a hotel within a 5 minute walk from Paddington Station. I have a late flight and figure I may as well save some money on the train to the airport. I will be departing on an international flight, not sure of the terminal at this point.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

Having done both, I could kick myself for spending all that extra money on the Express. What a total waste of my hard-earned, totally worthless US dollars.

I am also wondering if it's worth it to take the Connect since we won't be staying in Paddington this go around. We'll be in King's Cross and since the Picadilly Line goes direct from the airport to our stop, it seems to make more sense to take that instead but gah, it takes SO long....SO many stops...SO crowded....

I'm hoping I'll whine myself out of taking the Tube. ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

"... it takes SO long ..."

Actually, Kings Cross to LHR direct on the Piccadilly line takes 56 minutes, and the fastest tube/Connect via Paddington takes 54 minutes. And that's just to T1-3; the wait for the HEC/HEX shuttle to T4/5 adds another 11+ minutes (only an extra 5 for the tube). So not quite *so* long. Plus, you have Piccadilly line trains every 10 minutes, whereas the Connect runs only every 30.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,617 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

Trebor,

The Connect makes sense in your case and when you have the flight details you are welcome to repost with that information and we can point you in the right direction.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

I would still take the tube.

rhode island
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

Adamhornets,

Thanks for your reply.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

I hate to contradict Adam, but I can't see that either Heathrow train would be better for you than the Picadilly Line.

There is a lift at King's Cross station, it just takes a bit of looking to find it and occasionally it doesn't work.

However, from the Picadilly Line to street level is mostly escalator.

If you are going to King's Cross, I can't see that the Hethrow Connect of the Express would be better than the Picadilly Line. If you took either train you would still need to take the tube to King's Cross.

The exchange would be worse at Paddington because if you caught the Circle Line you would need to change at Edgeware (sometime a simple exchange accross the platform, but not always) and if you caught the Hammersmith and City you would need to go up many setps at Paddington and down the same number to get to the H& C platform.

The simplest would probably be a car service, but at certain times of day, that wouldn't neccessaily be faster than public transport.

The Picadilly Line also has the great advantage of starting at Heathrow, so you will get seats, which is not neccessarily the case out of Paddington.

Edited: 3:51 pm, August 03, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Express v. Heathrow Connect train

Just to clarify -

Trebor9, the original poster, is staying overnight in the *Paddington* area and needs to get to Heathrow (see #3). Therefore, in this case, the Connect is probably the best. I agree with Adam.