We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help me!

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
please help me!

hi guys,

coming to your great city of london in march for 2 weeks. looking for a 3-4 night get away to see some breathtaking scenery. thinking south of france......... open to anything really! short and cheap plane trip (value airlines, any comments/suggestions?) even italy......... greece? can someone please help here? we thought of paris, but going from city to city...... originally from NY, been to a few cities, seen them all........... do you disagree? is paris a must see? first time europe travellers and totally confused! HELP! we love culture, but the museum scene may become a bit much with 12 and 14 yr olds. we love to relish in the beauty, and relax as well, just absorbing different culture/scenery. Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: please help me!

Well that's a 'back handed compliment', if ever there was one; you haven't arrived yet but you already want to leave and go somewhere else. Have you not heard that London is 'the whole World in one city' and 'he who is tired of London is tired of life'?

If you must leave England, maybe you'd like to visit Edinburgh: you can take the train there from London in a swift four hours or so.

There are so many parts of the UK with beautiful scenery, but having teenagers with you helps to narrow the choice to regions with attractions that will also keep them amused:

The first suggestion is Gwynedd in Wales (Snowdonia, Caernarfon Castle, Snowdon Mountain Railway, Llechwedd Slate Caverns, Llanberis Lake, etc.). You can take the train to Bangor or Porthmadog or Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Link: www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_section.asp…

The second suggestion is the Peak District of Derbyshire (various Blue John caverns in Castleton, plus Matlock Bath, Bakewell, Buxton, etc.). You can take the train to Matlock or Buxton, or to cities just outside the Peak District such as Derby, Chesterfield and Sheffield.

Link: http://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/

Please enjoy your trip, and continue asking for suggestions.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help me!

There are so many options. Can you order the Time Out Guide to Europe over Amazon? It has all the cheap flights with destination guides and is the most up to date and helpful guide.

www.easyjet.com and www.ryanair.com have destination guides.

Seville and up in to the white towns?

Palermo and Sicily?

If you don't want to be warm you could think about Salzburg or Slovenia.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,288 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please help me!

You're spoilt for choice really - Ireland, Scotland, France, Italy, Czech Republic, etc are all covered by budget airlines. I'd check with the airlines and see what's available as many do great offers at this time of year, especially if you take off peak travel times.

Best offers are for early booking so get searching now! Some budget airlines worth checking are bmibaby, easyjet, flybe.com, ryanair, mytravellite.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,447 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help me!

As usual Travelspy is right. This is your first time in the UK and you are thinking of jetting off!

We have so much variety on these shores to keep you and your children occupied for months.

By all means consider a couple of day trips or a few days in Edinburgh or York. If you were to consider hiring a car, you would be able to see a lot of the country that the average tourist doesn't.

The weather in March can be varied to say the least but somewhere like York is only a couple of hours from London by train. It has the best museums outside the capital including the finest Railway Museum in the world (Kids love it), old streets, and some fascinating countryside within a hours drive. You could conside hiring a car for one day to explore or getting a bus pass and heading for The North York Moors or The Dales.

We do have theme parks in this country but most don't open till the Spring. Blackpool is somewhere different to consider if the kids like sea and thrills. The Pleasure Beach is open year round with some great roller coasters and The Lake District with all it's beauty is only a 90 minute drive away.

I really do think your kids will find more than enough to keep them occupied here but if you want some winter sun consider a Ryanair or Easyjet flight to Spain or the South of France.

Please let us know what you decide and I would also be happy to go through more options with you.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help me!

If a man is tired of London...oh, wait, sorry. I agree with the other responses to your question, redbellies, that there is plenty in Europe to see! There is much to be said for why leave England once you're there, though, as there are Wales and Scotland to get cosy with, too, but then, Paris....

Paris is a treat even if you do nothing but walk around, looking and listening. Add on museums, shopping and eating (ooh, Berthillon ice cream), and three days will fly by.

Can you be more specific as to what you and the children would like to do or see?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please help me!

travelspy is who I have to agree with here which is odd! We arrived on MayDay just in time for the protests and still had a great time! The best trip we made was to Edinburgh. We took the train and it was fabulous! We felt as if we had been dropped off somewhere in the friendly sunshine of the south!! The people were genuinely friendly, polite, and helpful! A completely different experience and a welcome treat since we were staying in the business district of London where the cold professionalism did not mix well with our holiday frame of mind! There are plenty of places to travel to outside of London and still remain in the UK for fantastic scenery. Don't forget to trip to Bath and Stonehenge! Dover is nice and Liverpool was warm & friendly too, but then the markets in London we visited gave us the same friendly faces. Markets were fun, St. Martin-In-The-Fields, Portobellow Road, and Camden Locks were great experiences even though we came back with very little, we had a blast talking and looking! Don't forget Abbey Road if you are a Beatles fan for the photo op!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please help me!

Hi redbellies! We are taking a two week trip to the UK and after staying 8 nights in London (which we will take day trips from as well as see the city) we are flying to Inverness, Scotland and renting a car and take about 4 days to drive down to edinburgh via isle of Skye, FT William/Glencoe and then staying a couple nights in Edinburgh. From our research, it seems that Scotland is breathtakingly beautiful so that would fit your description! The plane trip from London is very cheap. If you love culture I think you would be happy traveling there. Several tour agencies do 4 day tours there from London if you don't want to drive or plan it all yourself, www.welcome2britian.co.uk is one. Anyway, we haven't gone yet but this is just my input from our research!

Hope you find a place to go that you will love!

Izzi

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help me!

thanks everyone! Izzy, I hope you have a great time. Adam, thanks for all your work to respond to these posts. what a help you are! I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry! I know we wouldn't ever have to leave England, there is so much to see and do!

Since it is our first trip to Europe, we were hoping to see more than one country. I would think strongly of Scotland or Ireland; but oh, the weather! :o( I am considering heading south, to Siena Italy. DOes anyone have experience with that area? Place to stay? Rental car or not? Weather? Thinking of a cooking class, vinyard tour, horseback ride through the country!

Looking at airports, seems I can only go london stansted, to bologna italy. I only checked easy jet; will do more research. Thanks for all the input. This forum is wonderful, thank you locals for your great advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please help me!

If you want beautiful scenery you dont need to leave UK as there is so much of it. The lake district , new forest, Devon and Cornwall are my personal favourites. If you want a taste of a different country my favourite weekend breaks are Paris, Rome and Venice- all easy and cheap to get to.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please help me!

This is just a thought but..why not do one country properly, you'll lose time travelling elsewhere. Definitely recommend York for the kids (if the maze is open great family entertainment..but I think you're too early.) you've also got Jorvik and the Dungeon. walk on the moors if its not too cold.

edinburgh..do an under city tour or ghost walk by night.

Cambridge..punting on the Cam..hire one yourself for more entertainment, it's harder than it looks.

We've done all of the above with the kids as "museum breaks". They also enjoyed paddle boats on the Serpentine in Hyde park London