We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

Hi

This is the (almost) final itinerary for a weekend in 2 weeks.

After touring the Cotswolds for a week, we will return the car at Stansted on a Friday morning and will be heading to London.

Hope to arrive 12ish.

FRIDAY

Bus to Liverpool Street and from there bus to Gefrrey Museum.

Check-in at hotel after 15:00

Bus to Temple area (closed on our last visit last summer) and would like to visit Royal Court of Justice, if open to the public.

Then Covent Garden area for dinner.

SATURDAY

Tube to Warwick Avenue (or Paddington to see the Rolling Bridge and the Paddington Basin before) for a walk from Little Venice to Regent's Park or even to Camden.

Tube to Leicester Square area for lunch

Tube to V&A

Stroll Hyde Park (no hurries)

SUNDAY

Walk to Old Spitafields Market (15minutes from hotel)

National Army Museum/Royal Chelsea Hospital and walk Chelsea

Sunday Roast

Walk Mayfair to Buckingham Palace/St James' Park

I think we can swap V&A and National Army or skip National Army if you have any other suggestions.

...and we need to visit old friend Big Ben some time...no visit to London is complete for us if we don't stop around there to say "hi!" It made me shiver 25 years ago on my first visit...

As you can see not everything is settled down. This time planning is being quite long as our touring the Cotswolds is taking me long...and we are leaving next Thursday.

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

Hope you and your family have a lovely trip as usual, and no doubt you will take the children to Hamleys for a treat if you can find time.

Hope the weather is kind for you, and enjoy driving around the Cotswolds.

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

You may find if you are booking in to your hotel at 3 you won't make it to the Royal Courts on time - but wandering around hte Temple area, and the Temple church is fairly peaceful given the weight of traffic in that area.

If you are around Temple, go in to Somerset House courtyard (entry via the Strand next to the University). There is a cafe, art gallery, great fountains and a nice terrace at the back overlooking the Thames (good place for dinner too). In the summer they have concerts there - not sure which week its on

Leicester Square and Covent Garden are five minutes apart on foot so you may find if you are doing Covent Garden for dinner one night and Leicester Square for lunch another you are in the same neighbourhood - if you are off to the V&A you may want to eat in the Kensington area instead

Spitalfields isn't far from another well known market - Petticoat Lane - open Sundays - and it is down Brick Lane (best bagels and among the best curries) http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/markets.htm

Shame you can't get to Borough Market Saturday - I'd recommend Roast for that very named food! And it is a rat walk form there up through the South Bank, past the Globe to the Festival Hall. Big Ben an the Palace of Westminster (I'd almost be tempted to say that's what you ought to do on the Friday night, seeing as how close Westminster is to Leicester Square/Covent Garden

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,007 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

I would see the Imperial War Museum over the National Army Museum.

If you're interested, the Twinings Tea Shop is directly across from the Royal Courts of Justice, and it has been in that location for about 300 years.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

Thanks

Veggiemel

I agree with you about the SouthBank walk. We've already done it before from Borough Market to Westminster and would mind doing it again.

We will probably extend our walk to teh Westminster area on Friday night along the Enbanakment (...the lights on the Enbankment, like jewels on a chain...as the song says)

Somerset House is the planning as well, but forgot to mention it.

Laura

We have already been to the IWM, which we really loved, last year. That's why I included National Army this time and walk Chelsea after it.

USA
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

My hat is off to you Ramon. You come up with great itineraries every trip. You also get more bang for the buck than any other poster. Your trip reports should be linked in "A thread for the financially challenged."

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

Thanks Hoogo

It takes my time (I don't mind though) LOL

We think it is better to go twice on a budget than once...and we have some spare quids from last year which need to be spent before the Bank of England decides to change them.

Edited: 1:55 pm, July 02, 2011
7. Re: itinerary for a weekend 7th visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 06, 2012