We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair Straighteners in UK

Victoria, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hair Straighteners in UK

I know this question has been asked a dozen times but I'm hoping for a fresh answer from any ladies from North America who managed to take a hair straightener to London and have it work. I have read about dual voltage hair straighteners but can anyone who has been recommend a model that they used? I don't have the option of just buying a cheap uk model as my hair won't straighten without a very high temp, at least 400 or so. And curly is not an option. I look awful without my hair straight, even hair dressers say so. So if anyone has used a dual temp hair straightener recently that worked in London I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

I haven't tested mine out in the UK yet (just at home), but I purchased a GHD dual-voltage model stateside after getting advice from a salesperson at the store. You are wise to purchase a dual-voltage model beforehand -- it is the only way to go. Last time I tried to use an expensive (but non dual-voltage) model in London with a converter and it got fried and didn't work the rest of my trip!

2. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, June 08, 2011
Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

I have a Croc Baby that's dual voltage. I bought it for a trip, but I ended up liking it so much that I use it every day!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

How much power do these things use? Check with the hotel whether there is a limit on the current you can draw through the mains sockets in their rooms.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
598 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

I always do this in reverse! I take mine to the States using a travel adaptor and never had any trouble. Can't believe you can't do the same over here. If you use the right adapator suitable for our power wattage, can't see why you should have any problems.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

> for our power wattage <

Watts are watts, wherever you are. What differs between the two countries, as well as physical shape of the plug, is voltage and frequency.

The reason I mentioned power is that, even though US devices over her will obviously be drawing a lower current than in the US (because out mains voltage is higher), in some hotels the mains socket in the rooms will be rated for just 5A, not the 13A in most houses here.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

GHDs are the only ones worth owning. Don't even think about getting an ordinary ghd straightener and using an adaptor here. It will most likely fry as the voltage is higher in the UK. If you can get one that is set up for dual voltage then thats definitely the way to go.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

If you can not find one in the USA there are plenty of good quality duel voltage ones here in the UK

Boots the chemist or John Lewis (department store ) are among the best places to look

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

The GHDs that have been out for about 2 years now are dual voltage. You can buy them in the US or UK

10. Re: Hair Straighteners in UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:36 am, January 31, 2012