We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Old Money Question

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
New Old Money Question

I have a few coins from when a friend visited the UK back in the early 1970's. Just wondering, are they still usable? I have a Two Shillings coin, a 5 New Pence coin, 2 New Penny coins, and 2 half New Penny coins.

I leave in just 36 hours - I can barely stand to still be at work today!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Old Money Question

Even if you could use them they would be hardly worth anything in the UK, however they would be equivelent to several dollars!!! Only joking.

The coins have all changed shape over the years so the chances are the ones you have got are now obsolete. The two shilling coin continued in use until the late 1980's and was used alongside the 10p piece as its equivelent. The half pence coin was withdrawn around the same time as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Old Money Question

You can use the two new penny coins if you're really short on cash....the others have all been phased out

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Old Money Question

Short answer - No.

Longer answer - well the 2 new pennies are OK. The 2 shilling coin and the 2 half pennies are obsolete. The 5 pence coin has changed size so you could take it into the Bank of England (has to be the BoE not any old high street bank) and they may change it for new coins but to be honest they're more likely to fall about laughing.

Have a safe trip.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Old Money Question

the only ones useable would be the one pennies, when you say a "new" five pence, if it is small than the penny then these are good. If bigger then the penny, then these are the old style and no good.

I beleive the bank's can change ones gone out of circulation over the last few years...but I'm not sure if this only applies to notes. Know doubt someone will correct this information shortly if wrong.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Old Money Question

sorry didn't see the 2 pence in there, yep there good.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New Old Money Question

And even if all the coims were still in circulation, it amounts to about 30¢ US

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Old Money Question

Just has a more helpful thought - bring them with you and drop them into the "Change for the Good" envelope on the plane or at the airport. Because the charity deals in large quantities of coins they can get some value from them even if it's only the scrap metal value.