We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

Hi, we travelling to France for a month but we are going to stop in London for 3 days and then Paris for 3 days, before we head to france we don't know where to stay or what to do with this short time frame on our way to Provence, can anyone help get us started?? Tammy from Canada I have girls so they want to do some shopping as well as sightseeing and the 11 year old wants to go to Disneyland in Paris thanks for any help you can give us

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

Tammy: Have you read any London guidebooks yet? Your local library or bookstore would be a good place to start.

What price range of hotel are you looking at?

Also, check TheArtGirl's sticky at the top of the forum entitled "Updated London Websites for Visitors."

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

hi Tammy can you tell us some of your interests? There is so much to do in London. Buildings, History, boat trips, afternoon tea? For your girls shopping take them to Oxford Circus and start at Top shop and New Look.

sydney nova scotia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

Hi Tammy,

We have taken our 2 daughters to London twice before, the first time when they were 12 and 14.At that age, they loved the Tower of London and shops on Kensington High Street. We did 2 London Walks- Jack the Ripper and Kensington Walk. They really enjoyed these walks- kept their interest and just the right length 2 hours.

The highlight was the theater- back then we took them to Les Miserables, The woman in Black and Phantom of the Opera. My suggestion would be to take your girls to see Mary Poppins.

They also loved the tube and they still laugh when I put on my old t-shirt that says " Mind the Gap" ( a taped message via loudspeaker that plays when you get off the tube!)

Hope this helps,

Gail

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

This sounds like a great place to start, we do need accomadations, we want a quaint b&B that is close to everything does anybody know anything about St Margarets Hotel in Bloomsbury? or Brown's HOtel or Norfolk Court&StDavids Hotel? My girls like to shop, the walking tours and to do a show sound great, how do I find out about the shows playing etc?? We got for the first 3 days in April, we fly into London from Canada. Anything else you can think of as tips would be awesome!!! Thanks again, Tam from Canada

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

Gail, how long were you in London for with your girls? That internary sounds like something that my girls would like to do, how do I find out about what shows are playing? We were thinking 3 days is that enough time to get a taste of London and then go to Paris for 3 days or should we do it differently? thanks Tammy

sydney nova scotia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

Hi Tammy,

the best place for information about theater and musicals is www.whatsonstage.com. There is so much info it is almost overwhelming! Best place to actually buy tickets are ticketmaster ( if they have tickets they usually have the lowest booking fee). The next best is www.keithprowse.com. They have a reasonable booking fee per ticket and they definetely have the best seat selections. Keith Prowse also has a Canadian site so you deal in $CDN dollars. I also like the website www.theatermonkey.com because it has seating plans for every theater and tells you what seats to avoid. What I do is go to each site and find the best seats available, double check the location with theatermonkey.com., then book. Just know that the Keith Prowse website won't tell you what seats you have till you fill out all your personal info and give your VISA #. However you do see exactly which seats you have before you hit the purchase icon.

When we stay in London we always book an apartment through www.vrbo.com ( VRBO is short for Vacation rental by owner). It's a lot cheaper than hotels and the kids get their own room.

I hope this isn't too much info!! In my next life I think I'll be a travel agent!!

Both times we went were for 7 days.

We head back there in March for 4 days then to Paris for 5 days.

Gail

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,986 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

Hi Tammy and welcome to the London Forum.

An apartment may be the way to go and there are some that allow short (less than a week) lets. Having said that The St Margarets is in a lovely location, is good value and worth considering. Another nice B&B that has family rooms is The B&B Belgravia in Victoria.

Are you taking the Eurostar to Paris? This may not be practical for you but there are trains that go directly to Eurodisney should you want to stay on site for a couple of days. www.eurostar.com

Hope that helps.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

sydney nova scotia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

I can't stop!! I would stay in London for at least 5 days. You will lose a day to jetlag so you really only have 4 days. There is so much to see and do. Our girls are terrific traveller's but they hate it when i have every minute booked and planned. They like to sleep in a bit (ie. till 8:30 or 9:00,) have one thing planned and then see how they feel and go from there. If you go to Paris you lose a day to travel. The cheap excursion rates for the Eurostar are available from noon till three only ,so it really eats up your day. Buy your tickets from www.eurostar.com. We bought 2 adult and 2 youth tickets for $US270.00 total.

Let me know if you need anymore info!

Gail

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

I agree my girls are the same way, is it best to go from London to Paris by Eurostar? What did your girls like for shopping? Did you do the high tea thing, and where would you recommend? If ever you guys want to go to Italy we spent some time there last year, but the London, Paris thing is new. What about the outlets? Thanks for all your info I think you should classify yourself as the London Expert

San Diego
Level Contributor
296 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: family travelling to London with 11 and 13 year old for 3...

Tammy,

I think 3 days is too short! The girls may be so jetlagged the first day you really won't get much done. But if things are already booked, ignore me:)

My daughter was 13 on our last trip, and she was happiest just shopping for cosmetics at Boots. There's a little game shop (I hope it's still there) on Museum Street, just across from The British Museum. Might be worth a stop to buy a travel sized game for your longer stay in Provence. My daughter also like the little shops along Portobello Road for jewelry. She wasn't much of a clothes shopper then, thank God!

We enjoyed tea at The Orangery in Kensington Gardens. It's reasonably priced, very pretty, and if someone wants something more substantial than tea, everyone will be happy.

Her favorite sightseeing spots were The Tower of London, The British Museum, the V&A, and the National Gallery. A brass rubbing at St. Martin-in-the-Fields makes a nice souvenir, and you can rest your feet (and also have a cheap meal or snack in the cafe.)

Have fun!

Mary