We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in late July/early August

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in late July/early August

I hear that Europe has been having unpredictable summers these paast few years but what are the high and low temps on a normal summer day? We are looking to book the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury but the rooms do not have A/C (our original choice was the Bonnington but it is twice as expensive). Being a spoiled North American we have come to rely heavily on A/C. We don't mind hot temps during the day and as long as it cools down at night I think we'll survive...LOL!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in late July/early August

Where are you in the Great White North? If you're in southern Ontario, you'll be happy to know London doesn't get too nasty and hot 'n' sticky like it does in 416/905/etc.

It can get hot, esp in the tube, but rarely unspeakable - a lot of hotels offer fans, if that would help. And it does cool down at night.

As far as temps, my crystal ball is being cleaned, so I can't predict that far in advance - sorry.

The Met Office might have the info from last summer - www.themetoffice.gov.uk. It's got great info on it, generally.

canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in late July/early August

Thanks again TP. As usual I can rely on you to give me good info. As to my abode, yes I am a 416er...good ol' Toronto. Our summer was the hottest on record and this winter has been extremely mild so far....almost like Vancouver's winters! Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,947 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in late July/early August

After two visits to London in August 03 (records temps...August 8th the mercury cracked 100F) and then again in 04 (july)..with unseasonably warm i would never go to London again without air (we've since had 4 other visits).

Yes it does cool down beautifully overnight but the problem was the windows in the hotels..not large enough to open to provide enough airflow and double brick buildings hold the heat hence it was hot all night in our rooms..it was very pleasant outside in the early morning

Please remember i live in a much warmer climate so it's not a matter of poor adjustment to heat ( i dont work in aircon most days and its often around 27c..sometimes up to 38c)

My tip would be not so much to consider the aircon but how window size and openability!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in late July/early August

I've had some unbearably hot nights in London hotels even in May. Ask for an electric fan otherwise an open window will invite all the outside noise into your room. Most summers can be quite cool at night but sometimes a warm spell can make it very unpleasant in an non-air conditioned hotel.

canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in late July/early August

Appreciate the comments. Will ask the hotel about the window and fan considerations. Hopefully we'll be able to bear it (but will have to warn my 16-yr old!) since we are only in London for 3 days. Cheers.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in late July/early August

Absolutely ask about A/C - it seems that every few years we get heat waves at the time you're talking about where the temperature reaches the upper 30sC. My mother happened to visit twice over a period of a few years, each time during such summers, and now nothing I can say will convince her that the heat was unusual - she is convinced that summer in London means 95ºF temps. Booking a hotel with A/C is wise anyway, as our warm weather is humid, and there's nothing worse than being too hot to sleep comfortably.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in late July/early August

In the past 3 years, for some reason the first week in August has seen record breaking temperatures.

Cannot say if this will continue. But prolly worth anticipatingthis & booking rooms with A/C.

canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in late July/early August

Well it seems the consensus is to have A/C....decisions, decisions. We want to definitely stay in the Bloomsbury area so I'll have to keep looking (or pay the price at the Bonnington) but I won't let the heat spoil my first time in London. Can't wait to go!!! Thanks to all!