We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airbnb

pa.
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
airbnb

Has anyone dealt with the Airbnb rental company? They want full payment up front, even though we are not coming until June of 2012. We usually never pay all the money upfront. What are everyones thoughts. Also, do you think we would get a better deal on an apartment if we found one on the outskirts of London? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,386 Reviews
from $126.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,143 Reviews
from $129.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
539 Reviews
from $113.90*
244 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: airbnb

Not at all - we all rely on truth in advertising - but if something seems too good to be true (crazy great rate in a fantastic location) - well then don't be surprised if it isn't everything you hoped for. You dont REALLY expect a fast food burger to be like the succulent fenerous fresh bueger in commercials - if you do, boy are you going to be disappointed when you fork over your $3 at the walk-up counter. I think Sunrise & I are saying the same thing: expect to pay a reasonable amount depending on location. What AirBnb is great at (IMHO) is the unique character of the places you can find. I have been knocked out by how much nicer my $70-$150 a night AirBnB "finds" have been compared with what I would have gotten for comparable bux for a hotel room in places like Venice, Florence, Umbria.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: airbnb

We have used air bnb ,places in London twice in the last two years. Both have been great experiences and cost less than $100. We stayed out in the suburbs but close to tube stations and found it all very convenient and inexpensive. Read reviews, hosts profiles, look for "Air Bnb verified" photos and carefully read amenities provided and make sure it covers what you are looking for. All our experiences with Air Bnb have been wonderful in different places around the world and in Australia.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
159 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: airbnb

I think the reviews are key. Cleanliness is one of the things they have ratings for. I chose a place with all positive reviews, including 5 stars for cleanliness (and in every other category).

I also exchanged quite a few e-mails with my host in advance, asking questions about things I wondered about, so that there would be no surprises (hopefully). Airbnb has a good system that keeps a full string of all your communications with the host, and if you're not given the room that was promised, the money never goes to the host if you leave within 24 hours.

I had just posted about our first (good) experience with airbnb before you posted about your bad one.

Overall, I was just trying to say that doing your research on prices, location, etc. can pay off. But reviews are the most helpful thing. So if you feel strongly about the places you've stayed, post a review about them at airbnb, and you can warn other people not to rent those specific places. But we don't know which places you stayed at, so to strongly warn against airbnb in general doesn't make sense-- a lot of us have had great experiences.

Based on my experience, I would use airbnb again, and I plan to. ASASG, I might have to contact you to find out where you stayed in Venice. :)

BTW, other things I did before booking: googled the owner's name, read all 150+ reviews, read the fine print on airbnb's site about how the contract works, looked at all the pictures and looked for other pictures online, read the amenities and house rules that the owner provided, etc. As with all things in life, preparation can pay off.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
74. Re: airbnb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:06 am, December 03, 2013

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,090 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: airbnb

Reported as spam. Four identical posts all plugging the same company.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: airbnb

Adam, I was looking into this and saw your post lets hope they are removed.

Southend
Level Contributor
1 post
165 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: airbnb

I was amazed to receive an enquiry from airbnb earlier this year although our property was not advertised with them. I looked on their web site and indeed found my property, with the photographs and text lifted from a web site where I do advertise, but someone else's name given as the owner. I looked again today as I recieved another enquiry but my property is no longer there. Is this a scam??

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: airbnb

Airbnb isn't a scam site as it's an established classified advertising site for people to place their homes for rent. However I;m sure there are people on there trying to scam people like any advertising site.

Leicester
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
79. Re: airbnb

One stay for one night in an air b and b house on Arlington Road, Camden and it will be the last. The landlady was absent and unavailable. She had a lovely house (too many furs and animal skins for my taste though) that we discovered to be dirty and very cold. The landlady let the house the night before, apparently at short notice, to a group of 8 who left the house as we arrived. The sheets were not changed, the washing up and debris left for us to clean up, bathroom dirty. Found one set of clean sheets and made up one bed, but generally our party had to sleep in someone else's dirt. Despite trying to put the heating on, we failed. It was 2 degrees Celsius. The thermostat failed to respond; we deduced that it had been turned off. We all have homes and have a variety of heating systems, however this certainly outfoxed us. The TV and music system was missing components, so we were unable to watch/listen to anything.It was to be a very special family and friends weekend; we made sure that we joked about the disgusting state of the house but we paid a lot of money for this, and it ultimately lefty a bitter taste. The person who booked it needed to get her deposit back, as it required feedback to do so, she was forced to be positive and not report the well deserved criticism. The lesson to learn here...if you have to pay up front, make sure it is to a large organisation that you are comfortable with dealing with.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: airbnb

Caveat emptor. AirBnB is for me an option for three or more days. It should be a space dedicated to this purpose. It should have a decent number of approving comments. I do my homework and am usually very impressed with the value of my AirBnB choices. I am using it again (my fifth trip to Europe in seven years) in April in Italy.

Edited: 10:09 am, January 24, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
April
April
218 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Italy
Italy
Europe