We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I couldn't quite figure this out.

We are staying at a hotel in the King's Cross area - on Argyle Street (Alhambra Hotel) - due to the fact that we are coming in on Eurostar from Paris and only having one night in London - so we have roughly a day and a half to sight-see quickly! (Hop on Hop Off bus here we come!)

Getting to Heathrow from Kings Cross - I know there is a "Heathrow Express" - is this on a train system or the Underground and can I catch it from Kings Cross Station - or will I have to transfer along the line.

I very much appreciate the help and apologize if this is a question that is "one of those" - lol!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

The Heathrow Express leaves from Paddington station. To get there from King's Cross, you'll need to take a Circle/Hammersmith & City line tube from KX to Paddington (takes about 15 minutes)

The other alternative from King's Cross is to take the Piccadilly Line tube direct to Heathrow. It's a lot cheaper and not much slower, once you've allowed time for changing trains (and waiting for a tube on the notoriously unreliable Circle line). Takes about an hour

Personally I'd take the Piccadilly Line almost every time

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

+1 Pintpot

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

Take the tube.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

Cost of Heathrow Express for two - £36.00 (about $60), plus getting there from KX.

Cost of tube direct to Heathrow for two - maximum £10 ($16.50). And if you have Oyster, or the correct travelcard the cost could be as little as £2.80 ($4.50).

And as others have mentioned, once you factor in the time changing at Paddington (it's a horrible change with a long walk btw) and waiting for the HEX, the total journey time for both is about the same.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Mahalo for all the great replies - so if I'm understanding this correct -there is a rail line from Paddington Station for Heathrow Express - this is a rail line, not underground, correct?

So I would take the tube from Kings Cross to Paddington Station -transfer over to the rail line at Paddington Station and catch the Heathrow Express.

Or the possible better choice would be to take the tube from Kings Cross to Picadilly Line which will take me directly out to Heathrow (just with stops along the way).

Since we will be traveling with 2 carry ons and one large piece of luggage -

wouldn't that be a little heavy on the luggage for the tube all the way to Heathrow wtih all the folks trying to just get around town? I'd hate to be the stupid American tourist with all their luggage on a packed metro!

They both sound okay - and of course one is less expensive, but undoubtedly we wouldn't have the luggage factor to deal with on the Heathrow Express.

Any further thoughts - as always much appreciated!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

The Underground journey from KX to Paddington will have you climbing up and down stairs at Paddington with a couple of long hikes. The HEX will also take a good wodge of money out of your pocket.

Take the Piccadilly line. This is how easy a journey it is: from the hotel walk to Euston Road, cross it and turn right towards KX station. You'll see on the left a broad set of concrete stairs leading down to the Underground station - and to the right of those stairs is a midgey wee lift.

Take the lift down to level -2 for the Piccadilly line ticket hall. With tickets in hand go to the far left of the barriers where you'll find a wide gate through which you can roll your bags. There is one escalator down from ticket hall level to the train platforms.

You'll want platform 5 Piccadilly line westbound. The walk from escalator to train platform is about 8m on the flat. When you walk from the corridor to the platform please move along the platform towards the centre of the train - easier for you, for other pax and (best bit) it's nearest the way out at LHR T1,3.

Keep an eye on the destination boards above the platform for a train going to LHR T1,3 and either T4 or T5. When you alight at the airport you'll find an escalator up from train platform to ticket hall and more wide gates for your bags. After you leave the station you'll very likely see trolleys near the station entrance - help yourselves to one, there is no charge, and follow the signs to T3 where there is a lift up to departures. There are travelators en route to help speed the journey.

…wn.com/pd/02/65/2027653a1b4ce492271cc533301… …flickr.com/40/110804729_a92943991f.jpg These two links show the interior of Piccadilly trains, where you can see the dedicated space for bags; all the cars have a reasonable amount of room. You will not be the only people with baggage on the train as the line was planned for travel to and from the airport and city centre.

I always take the Underground on arrival, and recently have been taking it to the airport as well (and I don't travel light). Allow enough time for the journey and it can be fairly painless - truly, it's not dire.

You'd still have to wrangle your bags on and off the HEX, the corridors between the seats are narrow, and KX will be just across the road.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

Anone travelling on the Piccadilly line is used to seeing people with luggage.

Taking this line allows you to tick the boxes of cheapest journey, (prob) quickest journey and most direct journey. Frankly, you'd be nuts to think of using the HEX service in this situation. :-)

Level Contributor
3,399 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

You have to use the tube either way. So the luggage factor applies to both a Picadilly tube option or circle tube / HEX option.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

<<They both sound okay - and of course one is less expensive, but undoubtedly we wouldn't have the luggage factor to deal with on the Heathrow Express.>

Nope, you still are travelling on the tube to get to Paddington, so you have to get your luggage onto the tube in either case.

Once its on, it can either stay on all the way to Heathrow (on Piccadilly line) or get it off at Paddington, lug it up and down some stairs, onto the HEX. For an extra £35 and maybe save 15 minutes.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Express - from Kings Cross?

This might be a bit late.

But transferring heavy luggage from the ex-Kings Cross tube at Paddington to a train is simply the most unpleasant thing you can possibly do in an overnight London stay. Even if you spent the night on an unguided, unilluminated, tour of our sewer system. Even New York has no subway connection as lethally nasty, especially for unfortunates with bags, as the Circle Line at Paddington.

From Kings Cross to Heathrow, any option other than the direct tube is utter madness.