We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
113 reviews
Save Topic
getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

I am flying into Heathrow. My hotel is one block from the Gloucester Road tube station. How long is the ride from Heathrow to the Gloucester station on the Picadilly line? Is it better to take the Paddington express and then cab it from Paddington station or just transfer on to the yellow Circle line?

90 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

Well strictly speaking you're not permitted to take a bike (unless its a folding one) on the tube at all between Heathrow and Hounslow West - the bit in a tunnel - or on the Piccadilly Line between Barons Court and Gloucester Road (again the bit in the tunnel), although you can on the District Line between these stations. The section in between you can have a bike if you leave after 9.30am. So the answer is no, not on the Piccadilly Line all the way..

You can take bikes on the Heathrow Express, or the cheaper Heathrow Connect, to Paddington (subject to space), and from there on the Circle Line around to Gloucester Road (again as long as it's after 9.30am). It would be more expensive though than the Piccadilly Line (around £13 on the Connect I think, and £23 on the Express)

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

The key question is whether the bike is folded. If so, it's OK. But if it's just an ordinary bike that happens to be in a case, then you should not take it on the Piccadilly Line. I've seen drivers stop people taking bikes on the tube.

The reason is that in an emergency in a tunnel, people might need to evacuate the train by passing through to the front or back of the train, and an unfolded bike would impede the evacuation.

Bridgewater...
3 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

Thanks, the bike would just be one piece of luggage carried on my shoulder not much bigger than my suitcase if that makes a difference? Unless you're a cyclist you may not know what's in the bag!

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

The airport underground stations are well manned - I don't know whether you would be stopped, but I suspect it's much more likely at Heathrow than some other stations.

Bridgewater...
3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

Thanks!

Mission Viejo...
1 post
Save Reply
26. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

It's our first time in London, we are flying into Heathrow and staying at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel Kensington London.

Would you recommend taking the tube instead of a Taxi from Heathrow Airport? If so, Which tube station do we take to get there? Also can you direct us to the Hotel once we get off the Tube? We were contemplating getting a Taxi because we really don't know where we are going. Also do we purchase the tickets at the airport or online?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

There is no need to buy any London transport tickets before arrival.

The journey from the airport to the Millennium Gloucester hotel will take about 40 minutes from start to finish; a car might be no faster than travel on the Underground.

Unless you plan to travel on a day when there are planned works on the Tube, the journey is the same as it's always been: Piccadilly line from any of the three Heathrow stations (T5, T4 and one serving T1 and T3) to Gloucester Road station. Sit near the front of the train to be nearest the way out at your destination.

There are 26 steps up from train platform to lift level; look right at the top of the stairs for the lift. There is a wide gate at the ticket hall through which you may roll your bags.

When you leave the station turn right. Look both ways before crossing Courtfield Road, taxis zip in and out at speed at that junction. Walk past the Millennium Bailey's to Harrington Gardens - don't cross that road, just turn right. Your hotel is a few metres west of Gloucester Road. The walk from the station shouldn't take more than three or four minutes.

Depending on how long you'll be in London you may wish to use the two for one offers mentioned in the two traveller articles listed in Top Questions about London; see the upper right of the forums column. If you wish to use the offers you will need paper Travelcards bought at a rail ticket office, with Victoria nearest Gloucester Road.

Let us know more about your journey, especially the time of day and day of the week your flight will arrive and whether you wish to use the two for one offers.

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

We are arriving at Heathrow at 11:00 am on a Saturday after flying overnight from the eastern US, each of us rolling 1 piece of luggage. Would it be feasible to take the Piccadilly line to Gloucester Road station at that time of day, or too crowded? I had planned on Heathrow Express to Paddington and then a cab to the hotel figuring on exhaustion at arrival!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

The HEX runs four times an hour; miss one and you'll waste time waiting for the next train. The taxi journey from Paddington to Gloucester Road will take 15 minutes as well.

Travel time from LHR to Gloucester Road is 30 minutes, with 10 - 12 Piccadilly line trains an hour from the airport. It's fast, most of the journey is at or above ground, the fare is considerably lower than HEX plus taxi, but most of all the Tube will take you to your destination rather than to a station on the far side of Hyde Park.

Let us know which Saturday you will arrive in London, as planned works on the Underground may have an impact on Piccadilly line services.

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station

TravellerPlus, thank you so much for your detailed help. We are arriving on Sat, Sept 28. Our hotel is a block just across from the Gloucester Tube station on Cromwell, so very convenient to station. We were in London 5 years ago and still remember how completely exhausted we were on arrival since neither of us sleep well on planes, so we took Gatwick express and then a taxi to our hotel. Since we are 5 years older now, I'm sure that we will feel just as tired (or more)!! The tube sounds much more reasonable then my plan to do HEX and taxi, both time and money-wise. I just was concerned about hauling luggage around inside the train as well as getting in and out of the station itself. I hope it will not be the Saturday that Piccadilly line is delayed or stopped.

Reply to: getting from Heathrow to Gloucester Road tube station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted