We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a choice of museums to visit...help!

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
a choice of museums to visit...help!

Hi there

I am, from time to time, starting to have a look at places to visit next July. We'll be staying for a week in a cottage near Stratford and visiting London at the end of our visit.

Our plans are returning the car at the airport on a Friday morning and we will be flying out on Monday.

As we have visited all major sites, I am making a list of places to visit. We have 2 daughters, as some of you know, aged 10 and 8 and our friends' boy is almost 7.

Here's the list

National Army Museum

Geffrey Museum

Wellcome Collection

Horniman Museum

British Library

V&A (2nd visit)

I haven't planned to see them all, of course, but don't really know which to see or when to see them.

I have only thought of making Grefrrey Museum after returning the car (Terravision to Liverpool Street and then bus to the museum) and then lunch and check in at TL London Road, not far, I believe.

So free from then on,

Any ideas/suggestions? any other places?

Many thanks

London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a choice of museums to visit...help!

Science Museum http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

Natural History Museum http://www.nhm.ac.uk/

Both are in South Kensington, near the V&A, and entry is free.

At the Science Museum, the Launch Pad on the 3rd floor is great for kids (and parents!). It's an interactive gallery that truly makes science fun!

Also the London Transport Museum at Covent Garden

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a choice of museums to visit...help!

Hi: I hope you make it to Geffrye Museum. As I recall, it's rather "kid-friendly", and with the ages of your children, it might be of some interest even to them. Have you checked their web site? They have a Kids Zone, so that should help you decide whether it's going to elicit cheers or jeers from your youngsters. I found it fascinating and well-done. In July, the gardens will be open which should make it even nicer.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a choice of museums to visit...help!

Have you 'done' the Museum of London (free, and lots of free exhibitions)? And not a museum, but the Guildhall with remains of a Roman amphitheatre, and the Great Hall in the city which is going to be free everyday from April. There are some free guided tours as well.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a choice of museums to visit...help!

I may pay another visit to the Science Museum; we visited it when the girls were 8 & 5, so they may understand some experiments better now being 8 and almost 11 in July.

We've already done the Guildhall and the Clock Museum next to it. And we certainly love the Museum of London and its new galleries. We also did the Docklands branch last summer, which I recommend with a stroll around the area. Lovely place.

Thanks and any other ideas are welcome, of course.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a choice of museums to visit...help!

The Geffrye Museum is nice, particularly if you can combine it with a visit to Columbia Road Flower Market on a Sunday. However, it is only a collection of rooms, so the children may find it dull.

They will love the Horniman Museum with its aquarium and stuffed walrus, and is one of the top photos as the Telegraph Editors Choice:

telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/…

I suppose you know that Stratford is very close to Warwick Castle. Do English castles resemble Spanish castles?

How about children's zoos and city farms? Also London Zoo now has a baby gorilla.

Edited: 4:05 pm, February 21, 2011
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a choice of museums to visit...help!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12457010

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a choice of museums to visit...help!

Hi

The Horniman was in the list last year, but we didn't visit it. I've seen that the Geffrey has a number of children's trails to do at the museum. Our daughters can't think of a museum without trails to follow, so that might catch their attention. It would be a short visit in between arrival (back from Stratford, return car at Stansted and get to London) and check in at the hotel.

We visited Warwick Castle as well as Sudeley Castle, Blenheim and Lacock in August 2009, so they are not in the list this year.

We will be touring Cheltenham, Tewksbury and some other villages in the Cotswolds that we didn't visit that time and probably Bristol as I spent a term at the University of Education there some(?) years ago.

8. Re: a choice of museums to visit...help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 12, 2012