We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
213 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

First time to anywhere in the UK. What is the best way to get from Edinburgh to London? I have already bought airfare from London to Dublin and from Dublin to Edinburgh and prefer not too mush more as airfare is kind of pricey. Any suggestions?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,689 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k417…

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,467 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

When are you coming? You can get bargain airfares if you book soon enough but the train is nicer with some great views as far as Durham and you arrive in the city centre of London about 4 1/2 hours after leaving Edinburgh Waverley.

The cheapest fares (an amazing £12) normally go on sale about 10-12 before date of travel and you can sign up for alerts at http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

10 to 12 weeks in advance

Ha Adam; I'm lurking again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

I'm confused. If you already have tickets for London-Dublin and Dublin-Edinburgh, why do you also need a London-Edinburgh route? Is this for another trip?

Are you wanting to get to Edinburgh directly on arrival at a London airport? If so, it's probably best to fly.

If you are wanting to stay in London for a while and then get to Edinburgh later, the train from Kings Cross is 4.5 hours centre-to-centre, with no check-in or securitry queues, searches, etc. Tickets can be as low as £12 each way if you book 12 weeks (no more) in advance and can commit to specific train, or ten times that one the day for a walk-up ticket valid for any train.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,689 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

Given the tickets OP already has I would say OP will be in Edinburgh and wants to go to London.

I would suggest flying only if OP wants to end up at that specific airport or that they've left it so late to book a train that using someone like Easyjet works out cheaper even when they then add on the costs of getting to/from airports.

And if OP needs to be at a specific airport for a flight then they should be combining the Edinburgh to London ticket with their onward ticket as otherwise it's their problem if they miss the onward flight

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

(The clue is in both the title and the first post)

"Best way to get **TO** London **FROM** Edinburgh"

I suggest you take the train. It is direct, reasonably quick, quite scenic, and can be inexpensive if you book it just right. And, of course, runs from city to city (rather than outlying suburb to outlying suburb).

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

I agree with the above posts that your choice is either flying or train (which is quite long but during the day goes through nice scenery).

I travel to Edinbrugh about twice a month and I try to use London City Airport as much as I can, as it tends to be the fastest and cheapest way to get into London centre (DLR trams). Two airlines fly to city airport from Edinburgh, BA and Cityjet (AirFrance). If you travel at off peak times, there is not much difference between these flights and other budget airlines.

Please bear in mind that if you fly into other airports like Gatwick, Luton and Stanstead, it may be quite expensive to catch the express trains or takes longer to take the coach into London. Cheapest way from Heathrow is to take the Picadilly line on Tube network and fastest/most expensive way is Heathrow express (15minutes).

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

Yup - I misread the title - sorry.

You can reverse my information then - if your intention is to fly straight home from London after Edinburgh, then fly from Edinburgh, otherwise take the train.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
213 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

Thanks for the great advice. I will look into the suggested sites.

Edited: 12:14 pm, January 19, 2011
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get to London from Edinburgh

I agree with GreenwichNick, it all depends if you're flying straight home from London or not, if so the plane would be the best option if not the train.