We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car from London

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
125 posts
53 reviews
Hire car from London

I will be staying at The Levin hotel in London for 3 nights and I then want to get a hire car to travel to Bath and the Cotswolds. Is it possible to have the car delivered to the hotel or will we need to go to the hire car company for collection?

Is there a company nearby our hotel that we can use, if they don't deliver?

I don't want to hire from Heathrow and then have the car sit in a carpark for 3 days until needed.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
30,550 posts
1. Re: Hire car from London

Why would it have to sit in a carpark for 3 days?

London
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Hire car from London

Go back to Heathrow and collect a car on your way to Bath, as the motorway from Heathrow is the right one for Bath. Arrange to hire car from there on day you need it. Another advantage is when you return it, the hours there are much better than in Central London.

Definetly don't hire a car to use or leave in Central London as parking costs are very high.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
30,550 posts
3. Re: Hire car from London

I'd be tempted to take the train to Bath, then hire a car there, dropping it off at Heathrow.

For one thing it's a major pain parking in Bath - and another, as you say, why pay to have it sit in a car park for several days.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
125 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Hire car from London

I thought of getting train to Bath but we want to visit Stonehenge on the way.. Only staying in Bath for 2 nights and place where we are staying has car park. We will only really have car parked for 1 day there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Hire car from London

It depends on how deep your pockets are; yes, there are several companies that offer hire cars delivered to your hotel, your concierge can arrange this for you – email them for a quote on the price, but note you may have to pay for this service. Most major hire companies will deliver these days, for a small charge.

But has already been stated you couldn’t pick worst places for driving London & Bath. In London we have Congestion Charges – not sure if your hotel is located in a part that has recently scrapped the Congestion Charge because the people of Kensington and Chelsea are struggling. But you would have to pay this on your rental. In Bath, for good reasons there are restrictions on where you can drive and park etc.

With all that being said, it is a nice drive over to Bath, its just the start and then finish that are the problems. Driving is not cheap these days, but then again neither are our trains.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,319 posts
102 reviews
6. Re: Hire car from London

You can go to Stonehenge on your way BACK to London to drop off the car !

Melbourne
Level Contributor
125 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Hire car from London

Nope as we go from Bath to The Cotswolds, then day trip to Oxford and head to Heathrow for late flight home :-)

We will hire car on a Sunday from London, so congestion tax isn't required on weekends - I think?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
30,550 posts
8. Re: Hire car from London

"We will hire car on a Sunday from London,"

More reason to hire from LHR - many places in central London don't open on a Sunday, in any case any near your hotel will charge an arm and a leg as it's a rather expensive area

London
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Hire car from London

Yes - agree with the post above.

If you intend to collect the rental car on a Sunday your options are extremely limited. Airport depots are open on Sundays, but virtually every other depot (off airport) in the UK will be closed.

Hertz at Marble Arch and Avis at Victoria the only exceptions I'm aware of, which sometimes offer Sunday opening..

10. Re: Hire car from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 04, 2011