We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

Hi all. I'm not sure I've understood correctly how the 7 day travelcard work for children.

According to the tfl.gov.uk website, children aged 11-15 and 16-18, can get the 7 day travelcard at child rate (£13.80 rather than 27.60): http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Is a photocard needed in order to get it or not ? Should the answer be yes, is it the one they talk about here: https:/…

It's probably clear that I'm quite confused ;-)

Happy New Year everyone !

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

Yes, you need a photocard. However since September there is an admin fee for this £10 which makes the total fee £23.80

If you are not going to travel before 09:30 Monday to Friday then its cheaper to get a child 1 day off peak Travelcard (£3 per day) which doesn't need an id card.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

If you are staying in London as a family (or any party of more than one) you may want to take advantage of the 2-4-1 offers for major attractions, theater tickets and restaurants. You can get two for the price of one entry which can save big bucks. Details can be found at www.daysoutguide.com.

If you are interested in these, you will need to get paper travelcards issued from a national rail station ticket office. The TFL cards and oyster won't be valid for 2-4-1. Let us know, and also how you will be traveling to London (arrival airport or station) and we can help you find the nearest NR station for these cards.

I don't know the answer to this, but it may be possible to get the 7 day paper card for children without a photocard. I think the photocard requirement is for children using Oyster cards; and TFL only issue 7 day travelcards loaded onto an Oyster card. As I say, I don't know how national rail handle children's 7 day cards (or whether they issue them at all). Hopefully others can help here.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

I don't know for certain but I would expect National Rail ticket offices to issue 7-day paper travelcards and to treat them as season tickets. Season Tickets require a photocard including for adults, but National Rail photocards are free - unless you lose one while the season ticket is still valid, in which case it's £10 to replace it. Can anyone give more authoritative advice?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,926 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

I spoke to a bloke at South West Trains and a woman at c2c, both of whom told me that yes, children need a (free) National Rail photocard to buy seven day paper Travelcards (season tickets) at rail stations.

I rang First Great Western but got a message saying that 'due to circumstances beyond our control we cannot answer your call right now' - click.

Skopje, Macedonia
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

So, other than a passport size/ style photo of each of my kids, what would I need to get the photocards for me 3 kids?

Do adults need a photocard to buy the 7 day paper travelcards as well?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,926 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

You may be asked for proof of age for the children, but otherwise National Rail photocards will be issued to them free of charge as long as you provide the photographs.

Adults do not need photocards to buy seven day Travelcards at rail station ticket offices.

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

Thank you very much TP for the helpful info; you have been very kind.

8. Re: 7 day travelcard for children: need a photocard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, July 04, 2011