We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sticky toffee pudding

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
sticky toffee pudding

Are others familiar with this sinful treat. My teacher in London introduced this to me. She could not stop talking about it, so we stopped for tea one day at Fortnum and Mason and had the sticky toffee pudding. Apparently, they now add marscapone cheese to the top because the fat content wasn't high enough before. It was incredibly good. I don't think I wanted any desert for another three or four days. I have never seen anything similar to this dish in the states. I am just curious what others think.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sticky toffee pudding

I love it - in all it's variations, but then I love hot puddings generally. Especially with custard!

I have a recipe somewhere if you are interested...

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sticky toffee pudding

Africandaisy,

I would be interested in a recipe. Even if I did not make it myself, I know my teacher would try it. She has tried before, but I don't think she liked her results. Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sticky toffee pudding

I'll find it - its made with Dates so hopefully that is not the kind your teacher didn't like....?

Back in a while!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sticky toffee pudding

I can't find one in my recipe books but there are lots on Google, if you put in 'sticky toffee pudding'!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sticky toffee pudding

Just the name alone sounds great and I love dates.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sticky toffee pudding

TALF Sticky Toffee Pudding

Ingredients:

unsalted butter for baking dish

1 cup and 1 tablespoon all purpose flour

1 teasoon baking powder

3/4 cup pitted dates

7 tablespoons unsalted butter

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

1-1/4 cup boiling water

5 tablespoons brown sugar, packed

2 tablespoons heavy cream

whipped cream for topping

Directions:

Heat the oven to 350° F. Butter an 8x6" baking dish.

Sift the flour and baking powder onto a sheet of waxed paper or into a bowl; set aside. Chop the dates fine; toss with 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl.

Beat 4 tablespoons of butter and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg along with a little of the flour mixture; beat for 1 minute. Beat in remaining flour mixture.

Add dates, baking soda and vanilla to the 1-1/4 cups boiling water, stirring to combine; add to batter, beating until well blended. Pour batter into a prepared baking dish; bake until set and well browned on top, 35- 40 minutes. Remove from oven to wire rack.

Heat broiler. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons butter, the brown sugar and the 2 tablespoons heavy cream in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat to simmering; simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; pour topping over pudding. Place pudding in broiler, about 4 inches from source of heat; broil until top bubbly, about 1 minute.

Serve warm with whipped cream.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sticky toffee pudding

Here it is - I have computer issues. Sorry it took so long:)

2.5cup pitted dates, coarsely chopped

1&3/4 cups water

4tsp baking soda

2cups all-purpose flour

3tsp baking powder

1/2tsp ginger

75ml (1.3cup) unslated butter

1&1/3cups granulated sugar

3 eggs

SAUCE

.75cup unsalted butter

2cups lightly packed brown sugar

1cup whipping cream

.5tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F(180C)

Put dates and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to the boil, remove lid and boile gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Let stand for 20 minutes

Meanwhile lighly butter a 9x13inch baking pan. SEt aside a roasting pan large enough to hold the baking pan (water bath) Boil a kettle of water.In a medium sized bowl stir togther flour and baking powder and ginger until evenly mixed. With electric mixer beat butter and sugar, add eggs one by one. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in date mixture until well blended. Turn into prepared pan. Level.

Place filled baking pan in roasting pan, fill roasting pan with steaming water until it comes halfway up sides of baking pan. Bake in centre of oven for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 (160) and continue to bake until a tester comes out almost clean - about 35 minutes.

While pudding is baking prepare sauce by melting butter in medium saucepan over medium heat, stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Add cream and vanill. Increase heat to medium high and boil gently uncovered and stirring until slightly thickened about 5 minutes.

Serve pudding hot with warm sauce and vanilla ice-cream!