We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding Transportation

Rio
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question regarding Transportation

Hello,

I will be staying 13 days in London, arriving from Waterloo Station and leaving through Heathrow. What is the cheaper combination of Travelcards in that case? I know there has been a lot of questions about it, but I can't still figure out what it's the best deal for me considering staying in London for more than a week.

Thanks so much in advance,

Autumngirlsoup

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding Transportation

It will probably work out best to just purchase two 7-day zone 1 or zone 1-2 TravelCards. If you are taking the tube back out to Heathrow at the end of your trip, you would just purchase an extension ticket for that journey.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding Transportation

To add to what Kay said, you will need an Oyster card (no big deal and easy to use) for the 2 7-day travelcards....you can purchase them both at the same time, so your Oyster card is loaded and you won't have to go back after week #1. They were waiving the £3 deposit for the Oystercards when I got mine, but supposedly they are charging for it now....there is another thread that talks about getting your deposit refunded or you can just keep the card for another trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding Transportation

Two seven day Travelcards will do you nicely. If you want to take the tube from central London to LHR on your way home, you can pay the excess fare for the journey, if you've bought a card for zones 1 and 2 only. Most visitors don't need more than two zones, as so many of sights are in those zones; it's easy to add the excess fare, too.

For plenty of info on the Oystercard, go to www.tfl.gov.uk, click on the tab for Tube, then click on fares, as it'll link you to the Oyster site. It's really not complicated to buy, and very easy to use. If it seems a bit much, you can buy paper tickets for seven day Travelcards at mainline stations, such as Waterloo - you can get them at the same ticket windows where you'd buy rail tickets.

A seven day Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 will cost just £22.40 - it's a good buy.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding Transportation

I have finally got round to getting an Oyster card, as a London resident & intermittent user of public transport.

Just queued up at the local tube station's ticket booth, asked for an Oyster card - yes, I paid £3 for mine - & then asked them to stick £30 on it. Took me a while to burn the money off the card - I kept my eye on the display for the balance remaining. When it got low, I just popped along to another tube ticket office & paid for another electronic credit. Could not be easier.

I suggest you get a 7 day ticket's worth charged on to an Oyster card when you arrive, & at the end of the first week determine if it's worth putting another 7 day charge on it or maybe settling for less.

Rio
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding Transportation

Thanks so much everyone. Now, it's all clarified to me. ;)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding Transportation

Just to clear up the question about the deposit. If you are cloosing the Pay As You Go option (as Em is) then there is still a £3.00 deposit. However this is still being waived if you are purchasing a Travelcard of any duration.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding Transportation

As you're arriving at Waterloo you don't need to get an Oyster Card for your 7 Day Travelcards.

Go to the railway ticket office, not the Underground ticket office and they still sell the old paper 7 day Travelcards.

Rio
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Question regarding Transportation

I have another question. I would like to use the buses a few times.Travelcards don't cover the bus rides, right? So, I guess the best way is to buy the travelcards and add some more cash for the bus rides to the Oyster. Am I thinking correctly?

I appreciate all your reponses so far. Thank you very much.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question regarding Transportation

You can use the travelcard on the buses as well. The travelcard covers the tube, the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), the buses and also the overground trains. You only have to pay extra if you travel outside of the zones that your travelcard covers.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question regarding Transportation

There is a bit of an anomally with the buses. ANY Travelcard will cover all zones for buses. If you only buy a zone 1/2 Travelcard it still covers Zone 6 for the buses.

As I said before if you buy your Travelcard at Waterloo railway station you do not need an Oyster Card.