We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pass on Heritage Pass or...

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
964 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Pass on Heritage Pass or...

We'll be in England for 3 weeks in May-June 2006. We'll be visitng several gardens, castle, stately homes, etc. The Heritage Pass seems like a good deal, but I've been burned on passes before.....

What do y'all think?

Thanks,

Kathy

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pass on Heritage Pass or...

We've purchased it several different times and it has always saved us lots of money. And you see some things you might have taken a pass on before becasue you can get in "free."

You really have to do the math to see if it would work out for you. Add up the admission charges to the places you plan to see and compare it to the Heritage Pass.

One note - it you wait and buy the pass in the UK, make sure you have your passport with you when you make the purchase - you have to prove you aren't a UK resident.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pass on Heritage Pass or...

Kathy, I agree with Kayb. Make a list of the places that you definitely will visit and add up the admission prices. After visiting several gardens/castles/stately homes, etc., you may get burned out. That's never happened to me, but you just never know.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pass on Heritage Pass or...

Kathy, to avoid possible confusion, note that there is a Great British Heritage Pass and also an English Heritage short-term pass or annual membership. It sounds like you're referring to GBHP, not EH, but you might be best served by National Trust.

For a full discussion of GBHP, EH, and NT, take a look at this very informative previous TALF discussion.(had to tiny-ize the impossibly long link). Note that GBHP only has per-person prices while the others offer a family price.

http://tinyurl.com/ay99m

Then here is some more food for thought:

Royal Oak is the American affiliate of the National Trust. It gets you all the benefits of NT membership, including the guidebook. The sweet part of the deal is that the cost ($75 annual family membership) is a fully deductible charitable contribution on your taxes. It also gets you into Stonehenge, although it is managed by English Heritage. The Trust owns the site.

If you were only going to be in Britain 7 days I would take a close look at the GBHP. As suggested, do the math. When you visit the websites you will discover that there are some combination discount deals at royal sites, like Windsor/Hampton Court/Tower of London.

However, if you’re going for 3 or more weeks and will be in places outside of London, you can really see the best of Britain for the least money by being a National Trust member (Royal Oak) and visiting as many of their sites as you will be near. It’s a great way to see gardens, great homes, country estates, and much more.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pass on Heritage Pass or...

Listen here-hehe. The Heritage Pass is one of the best passes I have come across. It is better than just the National Trust membership pass or the English Heritage pass (dont confuse the two) because it gets you into so many places including ones covered by the above passes. For example, you go to two of the most visited places, Hampton Court and Windsor Castle - each costs about 12 pound each, Blenheim Palace or Warwick Castle, similar pricing. WE calculated we would have saved about 50% of the cost if we had paid individual entrance fees (ie for every $100 we saved another $100). But it is important to know - the pass only =saves money if you travel between say late March and October (as you are) as a lot of the places cost for the winter.

Warsaw
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pass on Heritage Pass or...

i would check the latest attraction list, some properties from london are no longer in the pass; i.e. tower of london, kensington palace, windsor castle, but in my opinion the price is still very attractive

this is the link for the visit britain which created that pass

www.visitbritain.com/heritagepass

aslo check the

www.gbheritagepass.com - it has a complete and updated list of all atractions in the pdf file

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pass on Heritage Pass or...

I just returned from London, and the GBHP saved myself and others in the group about half on all admissions. As mentioned before, the Tower of London would not accept ours after January 1st. We went on January 3rd I think. We were dissappointed there, but it is still a good deal especially if you plan on visiting a lot of sites.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pass on Heritage Pass or...

Have a look at the websites of the places you want to see to find with whom they are affiliated: NT/EH etc...

Then see if the Heritage pass gives admission to all those places.

Add up the cost of regular admission to see if you would save money on the places it does give admission to.

Next! Have a look at the Transport for London (TFL) website ( I am assuming you are spending some time in London)under the "Everyone's London" title for attractions which you can enter 2for1 with a tube ticket--the promotion ends some time in May but it has already been exteded once or twice so could well be extended longer, keep you eye on it--

There are also other ways to get free admision to places; get the travel brochures for the areas of the country you are planning on visiting as many of them include coupons for buy one get one free admissions.

Then contact the local TIC(Tourist Information Center)directly and ask if they have any money off coupons available!

Anemone0122

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pass on Heritage Pass or...

"i would check the latest attraction list, some properties from london are no longer in the pass; i.e. tower of london, kensington palace, windsor castle, but in my opinion the price is still very attractive"

That is interesting. If that is the case may it be a dramatic shift in the value of this card as those sights are major London benefits. I hope its not the tip of the iceberg of properties leaving it. Maybe English Heritage are jealous that this card is bought more often than there own access card.