We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any help with these questions?

I ♥ Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
any help with these questions?

I visited London for the first time in Dec. 2005. I am planning another trip there 'cause I enjoyed my short 4 day visit. This time I want to go much longer and stay at the Knightsbridge area again. I have been reseraching alot about London but want real peoples opinions and insites?

My questions are:

Where is the best place for a nice trendy bar or a DJ club for dancing (House, techno or hiphop)? What is the deal about "guest list" to go to most clubs? I went to a club ( only one without guest list) called "club 151" but I was mortified...didn't like that club.

Where is the best place to eat(ethnic foods)? I went to a local British pub and ordered a hamburger and fries...well I think it was a hamburger but it didn't taste like one and fries were bland(YUCK!).

Any cool places to go without being like a tourist? I went to a V&A museum and that was great.

Is the Covent Garden market worth going too?

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any help with these questions?

Just curious, but why would you order American food in a British pub? Next time try a Ploughman's lunch, or fish & chips or steak & kidney pie or Melton Mowbray pie or Scotch eggs - I could go on and on.

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any help with these questions?

I don't really do clubs (too old for all that now), so googled 151 and it's on Kings Rd, so I can imagine the type of place and why you hated it.

the likes of Fabric might be more the sort of thing you're after.

What do you mean by 'ethnic' food?

Asian?

South American?

African?

British?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any help with these questions?

You must try one of the Indian restaurants next time you're there.

To mix with the locals, stop-in one of the fish & chips shops - the greasier looking, the better. Pour on lots of vinegar & salt. Yum!

Visit Tate Modern - the space will wow you. Have lunch or dinner at the cafe on the upper level for a great view.

I ♥ Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any help with these questions?

Well I wanted to eat something simple in London so I went to a pub to eat pub food. I was warned by my friends that the food in London is not so tasty. So I gave it a try anyways to see how that goes 'cause I wasn't that picky. Well I ordered a Hamburger and fries with a bowl of chicken soup. The chicken soup was gross and slightly thick and I can't really describe the hamburger and fries. I was so hungry anyway, I just ate what I could. I am sure not all British food are gross but maybe that particular bar. Anyway, I perfer more of the 'ethnic' type of foods like Asian, Turkish,Sushi(Japanese), Italian, French, etc. but don't really care for Indian foods (don't like Curry or Indian spices). Well any suggestions of a good restaurant in the 3 mile radius of Knightsbridge?

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any help with these questions?

You will find a selection of small restaurants around in the area around South Kensington tube, & in the smart residential streets round there.

SK tube is on over the Cromwell Road from the V&A - so you'll have an idea of where I mean.

It sounds like you have chosen a pub that just does bad food - there are many...

Perhaps if you are after an exemplar British restaurant, pop along to Rules or Porters, both on Covent Garden.

http://www.rules.co.uk/

http://www.porters.uk.com/ (my preference)

The Covent Garden market is worth a visit - it's quite buzzy. Nothing like the original fruit & vegetable market (which I can remember) but the architecture remains,& the craft stalls & mini boutiques update it as a marketplace.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any help with these questions?

The Time Out guide to eating in London lists restaurant by location, by rating & by culinary style, so you can pick & choose your way through London's diverse eating places.