We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

SF, CA
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

London has many quaint side streets/lanes/passages but Sicilian Avenue in Bloomsbury (across from Holborn tube) is, in my opinion, the most beautiful & quaint byway in London. It was constructed in the early 1900's as a pedestrian passageway and features Romanesque columns, fanciful turrets, and gas lamps. I have a number of friends who live in/around London, and they've never even heard of it! Sicilian Ave. not far from the British Museum & it's definitely worth a stroll.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

I walked down that street from Sir John Soane's Museum to the British Museum last November. It is a lovely passageway, but I don't think the most beautiful street in London. There are many contenders for that title.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

So, Lee, nominate one! :)

I know I'm going to want to refer to this again in the future.

xyz

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

The Italino on the end of Scicilian Avenue has been there for yonks, said to be good.

Difficult to state which streets are best. There's an objective measure - are the buildings Grade 1 or 2 listed as of architectural merit. This can include 1960s concrete boxes as exemplars of their style, so a pinch of salt may be required.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

I prefer the PC Bookshop in the middle. I could have spent a fortune in there.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

I like Sicilian Ave., but my 2 favourite streets are Regent St. (where it curves near Piccadilly Circus) and Strand-on-the-Green (near Kew Bridge).

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

I also like Regent Street, especially at Christmastime. But I like a lot of the small residential side streets in South Kensington, Knightsbridge and Mayfair that I just happen upon when out walking. I think, "Hmm, I could live there and there... if I were really, really rich."

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

This post made me nostalgic for the street in Marylebone I lived on for 8 years. A row of Georgian terraces which looked fantstic in the light.

It wouldn't win awards by anyone else's standards but it gets my vote :-)

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

I like Burlington arcade, all those little shop windows really give a sense of what London( albeit a posh,genteel, gas lit London) might have been like in Victorian times.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

Inner Temple Gardens, between Fleet Street and the river. So many nooks and crannies in all the Inns of Court, and the green space is swell.

Always had a soft spot for the old Mappin & Webb building there where Poultry meets Victoria Street, across from the Bank of England - so sturdy but tarted up, looking as if it had always been there.

Actually, most of the City, too much from which to choose (but not Paternoster Square or the Barbican - ugh).

And s1conrad is right, Sicilian Avenue is a little jewel.

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Architecture Enthusiasts: The Most Beautiful Street in...

I really like Paternoster Sq now, especially the last few weeks as dusk, with the Christmas tree.

Temple is fab, I agree.

I went on a walk around the City which focused on Georgian architecture. Was amazed how much I hadn't noticed before.