We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airports to Guildford

New Mexico
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Airports to Guildford

We plan to hire a narrowboat for a few days in Guildford next year and then drive to Wells and stay there a few more days. Is there a train or shuttle service from Heathrow or Gatwick to Guildford? If so, does anyone know what line to take? Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,600 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Airports to Guildford

Both are probably close enough to consider a minicab or car service - probably about £50.

Coaches will probably do the route as well.

There may well be trains especially from Gatwick (its not far from Guildford as the jumbo flies) - try National rail or www.southwesttrains.co.uk

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Airports to Guildford

Hi, you can get a train from Gatwick to Guildford (hourly service, but check your arrival time, as trains don't run overnight). From Heathrow, get the RailAir link to Woking, and then a train to Guildford.

Have fun with the narrowboat. It's lovely gentle scenery around Guildford, and there's a lock for you to have fun with!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Airports to Guildford

Thanks! Have you done the narrowboat trip from Guildford? I have met one person who did and she said it was very relaxing. I've been in the Guildford/Cranleigh area before and think it's beautiful and so accessible from the airports.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Airports to Guildford

No, but I work in Guildford, and it's always a pleasure to spare a few minutes watching the narrowboats as they go through the lock.

There may be more than one lock, but I'm thinking of the one near Debenhams, and the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, with the little footbridges linking the island to the Millbrook Car Park (?) on one side, and the theatre on the other. Just a little oasis of calm!

Edited: 4:20 pm, September 14, 2010
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Airports to Guildford

I'm laughing at the thought that there is only one lock. There are many locks and yes I did a week-end trip from Guildford up towards the Thames. We turned round just past New Haw. You have to be careful because if you have one of the longer boats then there are only a few places where you can make the turn.

A taxi from Heathrow to Guildford costs £47 if pre-booked. Otherwise as Gilli says First Great Western from Gatwick or Railair to Woking and then train down. The walk from the station to Guildford Boat House is about 5/10 minutes.

Please ask if you have any other questions.

6. Re: Airports to Guildford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:53 am, March 14, 2011