We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

Atlanta
6 posts
Save Topic
Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

We will be in London for the first time in November. It happens to be the opening weekend of The Deathly Hallows and my 11-year old really wants to see the movie in London.

We are staying near Hyde Park and I see that Whitely's Mall is fairly close and has a movie theater. Has anyone been to this mall? or can anyone suggest a better movie venue in the area?

Thanks!

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,774 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

Depends greatly on who is actually showing that film (not all theatres will get first dibs on it) and what sort of experience you want. The big Odeon at Leicester Square will show it and that seats something like 1700, some like that, others prefer a smaller room. There are other Odeons in the West End (in fact there's another in Leicester Square itself (Called Odeon West End) with 2 rooms at something like 800 capacity in each).

The one at Whiteleys is also an odeon and has much smaller auditoriums than those mentioned... I think their main room seats a couple of hundred or so, and it has a good half dozen rooms if not more... I imagine they might get the Harry Potter film.

Some people like an old fashioned cinema such as the Curzon Mayfair but they sometimes don't get the new releases straight off, still worth having a look though.

I'm not well up on how long before you have to book for something that new and popular, but hopefully someone will know.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

There is an Odeon at Marble Arch (just around the corner in Edgware Road), the auditoriums are not as huge as the ones in Leicester Square, not sure yet whether they will be showing Harry Potter.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

I'm not sure why it has to be in the hotel area?

Unless a good reason I think the Odeon Leicester Sq. is best, because that's where they have the premiers. So for a foreign visitors it's a 'been there done that' experience. Biggest screen the better for Harry Potter IMO

It's not far away and inthe centre of the buzz and the lights,

Stoofer

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,278 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

I agree, if you like Harry Potter (not for me, thanks), then a big screen will be best. Leicester Square it is, though it is the most expensive.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

Deathly Hallows is supposed to be available in 3D. If that is something your child is interested in, you may want to look for a theatre that offers it in that format. (My daughter wants to go to Chicago to see it in 3D as that's the closest theatre for us with that capability)

Atlanta
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

Thanks for all the info! Very helpful!

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,003 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

Please please please do not see the movie in 3D. Harry Potter was not originally designed to be seen in 3D which is the spawn of the devil IMO and will bankrupt the industry both artistically and financially. Even the makers of Toy Story 3 (which was shot in 3D) think their film is better enjoyed in conventional format.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

The world premiere is at the Odeon Leicester Square on Thursday 11 November. All the stars will be there, so perhaps your 11-year old could shake Voldemort's hand and tell him not to be so silly.

Leicester Square is quite small and the crowd will be huge, but the Harry Potter stars have been very good on the previous films of circulating around the crowds and posing for pictures.

Personally, I'm going to ignore AdamHornet's advice and will be seeing it in 3D and on the biggest screen in the country, but if you also do this then you will need to book as soon as possible

bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_imax/coming_soon/harr…

Otherwise, it will be shown in cinemas all over London and there won't be any need to book ahead for normal cinemas. I guess if it comes out a week before in the United States, then your kid will get bragging rights with friends if they tell them that they've already seen it.

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

"movie theater" and "cinema" is one and the same thing?

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harry Potter opening weekend- best movie theater?

Correct.