We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Topic
My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

The pressure is on.

My mother (78) and niece (20) are coming from the States to see us this month. We (39...ahem) will show them what can of The Southwest and then spend 4 nights with them in London.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need some.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brit Movie Tours
Walking Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Babylon Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Can I (58) tag along? I'd love it if I had a relative in England to be my tour guide.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,464 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Make us proud, Jack! You'll do fine, even when you have to answer the all-important Travelcards queries.

Take 'em on a Routemaster, it'll be the highlight of the trip.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Luck :)

They will be so impressed it will go to your head and you will want all your rellies to come over so you can tour guide.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,914 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Good luck. Sounds like fun...

If you get stuck on a question, you are welcome to quietly text me so that you can appear all knowing!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Jack: If they've never visited before, you can always make things up if they ask difficult questions. How will they know the difference? Of course, be funny/creative in your replies.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Tea, tea, scone, scone, more tea, scone, scone, clotted cream, jam, tea, pasty, ginger beer, fish & chips, tea, beer, beer, full fry up, tea, tea, scone, scone, clotted cream, jam, tea, sherry, Sunday Roast, trifle, tea, saffron cake (!), black pudding, tea, toast, tea, porridge, tea, tea......

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Well, enough of my new diet...

Montacute House was the place near Yeovil.

But not much National Trust open until Easter weekend.

Chagford on Dartmoor is nice for a day out.

Authentic working charming Stannary town - agricultural with plenty of affluent retirees. Excellent pub on the town square - Ring Of Nails, our local ( aka Bag O'Nails) for a week last Autumn. Good nosh & good beer.

Mentioned in this post
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

You'll wow 'em, Jack. Just follow EmParr's itinerary with a little more clotted cream.:)

Arrange a casual running-into Nolana and impress the heck out of them with how easily you make friends with the locals, and have her join you on the aforementioned cream tea so they can relish the accent and have a remarkable "unplanned event" to impress folks back home with. Heh, heh.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Don't forget Exeter's Cafe Paradiso (Hotel Barcelona) for stylish Pizza/Pasta AND the Michael Caine gaff in town - lost track of Michelin starts to date. Exeter Cathedral is quite something.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Big Chance to Play London Tour Guide

Stourhead Garden is in your neck of the woods and is open year 'round. (The house is closed till Easter.) It's National Trust. My arthritic mother (same age) was able to ramble the whole circuit of the garden. It's delightful even in January (well, Feb. is when I was there in winter) because of all the follies, the evergreen plantings, urns and statues etc. IMO the best of the landscape parks.