We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy new year

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Happy new year

Well its now 2am I Australia so I think we are one of the first (apart from NZ and some pacific islands) to see in 2006 - Happy NYE

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
688 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy new year

Let the party begin it is new years somewhere! Happy New Year

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy new year

Happy New Year Australia!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy new year

......and China.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Happy new year

It's definitely Next Year in Melbourne now, so all the best in 2006 to you and all our Oz friends!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Happy new year

Happy 2006 to you, too! I think it would be fun to fly west and keep celebrating new year's in each time zone. Wonder if anyone has ever done that.

Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Happy new year

Happy New Year to Everyone as well!

Now I want to know why the three times I've been to London I've never been rained on, but I come home and it's raining! Albert Hammond is wroooooong when he sings "It never rains in Southern California".

Be well everyone!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Happy new year

A big happy new year to you Australia, and Chile and Canada and California (sorry its raining on you iggiesue - I hear the mudslides are just terrible!). Preparing to go out to friend's house and toast all of my TALF buddies.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Happy new year

Just over three hours to go here but just before midnight in London. Plan to celebrate both!

Happy New Year all of you!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Happy new year

Happy New Year to you all too!

Just finished watching the fireworks/London Eye light show - Wow! Webcams are a great invention.

My hand is now reaching for the phone to make reservations for next year at the Marriott County Hall! (soooo tempted)

Did anyone else see the fireworks live in-person or via webcam?

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Happy new year

offtolondon - sounds as if you were there in spirit. We were there in body and by sharing our experience, we hope that you can put the evening into a sharper context albeit vicariously.

We started at Westminster Bridge at 10.45 pm but as expected, we encountered a solid wall of people. Pushing our way through, we got to the south side and it was relatively civilized on the Riverside Walk on the South Bank - it was far quieter than we expected with only a few people taking up the key positions while others enjoyed a quiet drink in the background. But because we thought the angle wasn't quite right for a decent view, we moved on eastwards.

When we got to Waterloo Bridge we headed back across the river northwards (ok it's really northwest to the purists). This was quite crowded at the start but it thinned out a bit in the middle so we parked ourselves and got a wonderful view of the event enhanced by the splendid backdrop of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. The weather was quite kind - it was mild but a few spots of rain was felt at 11.30 which slowly intensified to a light drizzle but not heavy enough to spoil things.

The majority of those around us were foreign visitors speaking at least a dozen different languages many carrying cans of beer or bottles of wine but all no doubt enjoying the moment. In the final 15 minutes of the old year, their numbers were augmented by a large crowd of English language speakers conversing in the vernacular moving southwards from Covent Garden.

In the last minute, there was a noisy countdown as the crowd kept pace with the laser countdown. On the dot of 12 the fireworks started while many hugged friends and family and no doubt strangers as well as if peace and goodwill descended on everyone there. The show lasted about 10 minutes amid hoots of joy and the occasional spontaneous applause until the finish which was signalled by an eerie silence.

Many shuffled around as if wanting more but not knowing what to do with themselves then there was then a noticeable movement of bodies northwards as the indigenous population (and no doubt some vistors as well) headed back to resume their revelry in the watering holes of Covent Garden. Many foreign visitors however seemed to linger as if wanting to savour the moment a little longer some engaging in their own private celebrations.

We pushed our way through and by the time we turned left along the Strand, the crowd was a lot thinner. It built up again by the time we passed Charing Cross station onto Trafalgar Square converging with a solid mass of people moving up Whitehall and to a far lesser extent Northumberland Avenue. Some of these were the worse for wear - one chap was being dragged along by his two mates - one on either side while another was being sick in the gutter on the approach to Pall Mall. Most were however sober(ish) and in high spirits - there were no sign of trouble. There were however plenty of police everwhere which was a comforting feature.

For us it was then sharp turn to the left leaving the masses behind while we walked through Carlton House Terrace and before long we found peace along the Mall with the tranquillity of St James Park on our left and the beautiful architecture of Clarence House, Marlborough House and St James Palace on our right. Walking past Buckingham Palace and into Buckingham Gate, we were soon back in our hotel feeling that our lives had been enriched by the experience.

Though we don't live that far away, we have tended to go abroad at this time of year to celebrate the coming of the New Year as, in the past, the celebrations in London have been dire - congregating in Trafalgar Square with a quarter of a million other people listening to the muffled chimes of Big Ben was not our idea of fun. We have since discovered that the London authorities have done us proud by laying on this event. While it may not have been the biggest nor the best in the world, we have no doubt that many of those who were there had really enjoyed themselves.

By all means pick up the phone and make a booking. You may not however get the best views from the Marriott - hotels on the other side of the river on the Embankment such as the Royal Horseguard will probably give you a far better view. But for all anglophiles and many others besides there nowadays are far worse places to see in the new year.

A Happy New Year to you and everyone else reading this.