We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temple area

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Temple area

Hi

I read yesterday in one of Travellerplus posts about Middle Temple Lane walk from Fleet St to Enbankment. I thought it was interestring and I'm trying to fit it in our itinerary. Never been there except on buses.

My question is: what are the must do things in the area? Any suggestions on things we shouldn't miss?

My draft for the day is:

Imperial War Museum in the morning

Bus 59 to Aldwych and explore Temple area

Walk to Waterloo Bridge (I read in the forum it has the best views)

Free for the rest of the day to relax and walk as this is the plan for our last day before coming back to Spain next morning.

Thanks

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Observation Decks & Towers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Millennium Bridge
Bridges, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temple area

Some parts of it were used in the Da Vinci Code film. Mostly, its' a warren of old buildings usually hidden away from view and traffic. They are occupied by lawyers, who attend the Royal Courts of Justice across the road.

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temple area

There's the Temple Church which is off Fleet Street, I think it's the one in the Da Vinci Code with the effigies of Templars. It looks interesting in the guide-books, unfortunately it was closed when I got there on my last visit.

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temple area

Should you be interested in Temple Church, here you can find day by day at what time you can visit it: http://www.templechurch.com/

I don't know when you're going to London, bu the church it's gonna be closed right from today till September the 9th included.

I can confirm: there's a nice view from Waterloo Bridge :-)

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temple area

We are travelling in about 10 days...it's a pity it is going to be closed...

Level Contributor
531 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temple area

If you need another walk, London Walks has a tour through that area about the Royal Courts of Justice that you might like.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temple area

The Royal Courts of Justice are open to the public from about 9am til 4.30pm. The Grand Hall at the main entrance is splendid and cathedral like - the shiny mosaic always makes me feel lightly seasick; the entire main building is high Victorian Gothic in style. There are very few trials running now as the Long Vacation is underway, but the bulding remains open.

Each of the 4 Inns of Courts (MIddle, Lincoln's, Inner & Gray's) have gardens which are open to the public at lunchtime. They make a great place for a picnic. The Inns are lovely to wander around - there are gas lamps, cobbled lanes, cloisters, fountains, sculptures, beautifully maintained buildings and some great photo opportunities. Each of the Inns has a Hall which is used for Inns' functions, private hires and serves lunch to members of the Inns, very posh staff canteen really!

The Temple Church is quite beautiful and is unusual in ecclesiastical terms in that it known as a Royal Peculiar which means that it is not part of a diocese. The church is shared between Middle & Inner Temples and old rivalries between the 2 Inns meant that members of each Inns sat on opposite sides of the church, Middle Templars sitting on the Northern side. If you look at the first workld war memorial tablets in the round chapel, you will notice that the Mddile Templars' names appear on the north side and the Inner members' on the south side so the rivalries must still have been ruin existence then. It's a pity the Church is closed over the summer, but it is primarily a place of worship for those who work in the Temple rather than a tourist attraction & much of the Bar is off on holiay just now. I was in the Church about 2 months ago at lunchtime and was not very impressed by the behaviour of the majority of tourists who were clearly only there to get a photo of a scene from the film. Their behaviour was not very respectful, chatting and gossiping away with no sensitivity towards others. If you would like to see one of the other Churches, there is a chapel at Gray's an at Lincoln's just north of the Royal Courts. As with the Temple Church, these are also used predominantly by members of the Inn.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temple area

Somerset House is right next to Temple station.

This is a lovely building right next to the Thames and had been an official building for many years (Navy board, Income Tax etc).

It is now an art gallery (some freee, some entrance fee), with cafe / restaurant, and some interesting interiors (they do free tours some days)

Nice fountains in the middle of the courtyard.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temple area

While walking Victoria Embankment give a thought to Joseph Bazalgette, a hero of mine.

Without him there would be no Victoria embankment, and London would not be the city it is today.

His name is etched into some of the stones along the thames (I took a picture of one yesterday as I walked along there)

Read more here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Embankment

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bazalgette

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temple area

Great info. Thanks. We will definitely give it a go after the IWM.

Alight around Aldwych and start exploring. I've noticed the Old Curiosity Shop is around there too.

10. Re: Temple area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 05, 2011