We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Storage

Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Topic
Luggage Storage

I work closely with hotels in London and refer colleagues to titbits that I find on here regularly. I've noticed increasingly of late in Reports that hotels are criticised either not storing luggage on the day of departure or, if they do, charging for it. Yet many hotels just do it as "part of the service".

It's causing much discussion amongst my peers but what do customers think ?

Is it reasonable for a hotel to charge for storing luggage ? I suppose Left Luggage Office in many cities charge, so perhaps why not hotels ? Or is it a free service that you expect when you stay at a hotel ?

If the hotel were happy to store, but not accept responsibility in the event of loss or damage, would you still leave bags with them ?

And what of security implications ? Is it reasonable for a hotel to require that they check the contents of your left luggage (be it at a charge or not) before accepting it ?

Many questions I know...but if you have thoughts or strong feelings, I'm interested to read of them. Luggage carries many challenges for hotels, esp in large hotels in London - the physical storage, the security, the potential for loss, theft and damage - so what do you expect from where you stay, and would/should you be prepared to pay for it ?

Thanks !

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Storage

I can definitely see the challenges involved, but it is so common, around the world, to be able to leave luggage at the hotel, that I would be very disappointed if asked for money.

From the travelers point of view, you want to take advantage of the last day, which carrying luggage would make impossible.

From a security point of view, if a customer wanted to leave a bomb in the hotel and leave, he/she could just as well leave it in the hotel room as in luggage storage. As long as the service is offered only to customers, the risk remains the same.

Thanks, LondonChap, your post has alerted me to this issue. Providing storage for luggage is so vital to my enjoyment of a trip that I will henceforth stop taking it for granted and only book rooms at hotels that ensure the service beforehand.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Storage

I can see hotels not wanting to end up with masses of luggage to store but it is vital on that last day when you have checked out but still have hours left in London. The Tavistock has a large luggage room and charges 50p per bag per day. I thought that was very reasonable and really more of a tip for the lads storing it. I think a small charge is appropriate as you are really no longer a guest of the hotel.

Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Storage

I dont know what happens overseas ? Do other cities charge ?

From a personal perspective I was horrified that hotels charged but it seems more commonplace now and so maybe people are more accepting than I am !

With regards to not allowing luggage to be left at all, I wonder if it is more security related that anthing else. It could really ruin your last day in a city though, to have to cart your stuff around all the time.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Storage

I feel that if you have stayed at, or will be staying at a particular hotel, they should hold your bag(s) if you arrive early for cheque-in or wish to leave it for some hours after cheque-out. This service should be provided at no cost to the customer.

If, however, you want to leave your bag(s) for days after chequing out I think it's fine for the hotel to charge a small fee. One exception to this would be if say, I stayed somewhere, left for a couple of days, & then returned for another few days -- I feel the hotel should not charge in that case.

I recently had to leave a bag at the Strand Palace -- they charge £2p/bag, p/day. This seemed too dear a price. The Tavistock is far more reasonable.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Storage

I think it also depends on what level of hotel. At a budget hotel you might expect to pay something but I would not be pleased if I had paid a lot of money for a room and then had to pay to store luggage for a few hours. Maybe it has a legal twist to it. If they charge you they are responsible?

Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage Storage

I dont know !

But if they dont charge you and they lose it or it gets damaged I think they are still responsible. Or would that seem unreasonable ?

Very confusing !

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage Storage

My view is great if they do it- it is a convenience for me and had saved me many a times.

BUT it is not a right for anyone - they are hotels first and not luggage storeage facilties. Not only are there security/ safety issues (if you were a high profile "target" hotel who knows what might be in the luggage) but personal security issues- a hotel may wonder why should they take on the liability of something going missing - maybe more trouble than its worth.

And a lot of hotels these days are not designed with the room to store a lot of luggage - I mean look at the size of the rooms and your paying for those - so there not going to spend money on large luggage storage rooms.

A small charge is acceptable IF it actuall means the bags are being kept in a proper secure area and required to sign for it being returned. Not for just keeping it behind the desk.

Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage Storage

any other thoughts or hotels that definately charge ?

London
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage Storage

I really have no problem with a hotel charging to store luggage. Its clearly an extra service provided like many other services in a hotel that people otherwise think nothing of paying for.

But...

If they do charge I would expect the luggage to be stored in a proper secure environment and they take full responsibility for the luggage and are fully insured.

I suspect many hotels take the money without investing in providing a proper secure environment.

The hotel practise that really gets me going is the increasing number of hotels that automatically add a service charge to your bill. It is then up to you at check-out to raise the issue and insist another bill is created without the service charge, normally in an environment with little privacy and a queue of people behind you drumming their fingers with the delay caused.

USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage Storage

I agree with hand - I don't mind paying for it if I have to, but they'd better keep it secure if I do. However, this has become such a standard practice, they surely find a way to make up for any costs inside hidden fees anyway, so I feel charging for it is unreasonable.

As far as safety - as long as the customer has paid for a room, it seems less likely to run risks. Not impossible, but then who wants to live in a bubble?