We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Yard.

ont
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Topic
Scotland Yard.

What if anything is there to see/do here? I have heard of Scotland Yard and know it is related to the London Police, could ta members please let me know if a tourist can see anything at Scotland Yard.

Thanks.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland Yard.

The old New Scotland Yard building by Westminster Bridge is architecturally interesting. The new New Scotland Yard building by St James Park Station is a boring tower block.

The public aren't allowed into either.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland Yard.

If you mean New Scotland yard (Met Police HQ), you could see a big sculpture turning slowly outside it, and you can see the outside of a very dull office building.

But if you stand and stare at it or take pictures, I suspect some armed policemen will walk towards you and ask you to move along. If they ask you to come inside with them, agree.

Definitely not worth crossing the road for.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,527 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland Yard.

New Scotland Yard is the HQ of the Metropolitan Police. There aren't any tours

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,436 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland Yard.

Nothing to see here. Move along now please

Edited: 6:31 pm, July 27, 2010
ont
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland Yard.

Where exactly is the old New Scotland Yard building? Okay, and here's a silly question I remember a British TV show I think it was called Miner, but could be wrong that always had a black and white square Scotland Yard sign, where can I see this sign in London?

Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland Yard.

"Minder". starring Dennis Waterman and George Cole

NSY is in Victoria St, near St James tube station, halfway between Voctoria Station and Westminster Abbey.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland Yard.

I don't think Minder used the revolving Met Police sign. Certainly not on the credits - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ohUHIjAxI

More here including pictures of both the old New Scotland Yard on the Victoria Embankment near Westminster and the new New Scotland Yard but not the old old Scotland Yard - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Scotland_Yard

Hope you are paying attention!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland Yard.

Does anyone remember the sketch on "not the 9 o'clock news" whereby you seen the sign turning then the camera panned down the pole into the ground then along then up the building and into a room along a chain and panned out again to reveal a London Bobby on an excercise bike pedalling away! qiute funny, or am I easily amused?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotland Yard.

I was immensely disappointed when, by chance, I found myself in front of New Scotland Yard. I did take a pic of the sign and sculpture but it just doesn't give off the air of the old mystery book refrain : "Call in Scotland Yard!!"

ont
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scotland Yard.

Not sure why Minder keeps coming to mind, but that image of the Scotland Yard sign is embedded in my brian. Where can I see it in London? Albiet, for a minute before I need to "move along please".