We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying stamps / mailing cards

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Buying stamps / mailing cards

Any advise on best place to mail some cards back to the US from London? Are stamps easy to find?

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

I've never had trouble finding a post office in London.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

Post office (but usually with queues), newsagents including WH Smith, some 'corner shops' - sometimes there's a little 'we sell stamps' sign in the window.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

you can also get stamps at sainsbury and waitrose - just ask the cashier :)

london
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

easiet thing to do is check if your hotel sells them and if not where is the nearest place to buy them

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

Second santosc's suggestion. I've always handed them to the hotel desk and they stamp and mail them because I don't want to take precious time to do it myself.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

Take a bunch of envelopes with you to put the cards in; it cost only a few pence more to buy a letter stamp but the card will actually arrive at its destination whereas if you put the postcard stamp it may well languish in the PO for months or never go anywhere.

Here is the PO's branch finder page,use the postcode of your hotel to find the nearest post office.

http://tinyurl.com/dxa7v

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

sorry but we only have first and second class stamps - we no longer have (for several years now) postcard and letter stamps - so it doesn't matter if they are in envelopes or not - British Mail will deliver them if they are stamped regardless of whether they are postcards or letters - are you suggesting that some mail authorities somewhere "lose" postcards.

Stamps can be bought at many different stores - Tesco sells them from the Tobacco/cigarette kiosk - many many other stores sell them from the cashiers desk.

Post boxes are everywhere - not just at post offices - in the UK they are bright red and can be found on many street corners.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

Although most of the larger hotels, do indeed, sell stamps and will post your cards & letters for you, quite often they charge a premium for the service. I still resent being charged £1.11 for what was a 68p stamp.

I remember a time when a stamp was one price no matter where it was sold -- you weren't allowed to charge more. Recently, I went to buy a book of 20 first class stamps in a supermarket. This should have cost $7.40. Instead, I was asked to pay $8.10; I declined the purchase. I think I'm fast becoming my father!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

There is a big post-office just off Trafalgar Square, across the road from St Martins Church; for stamps, parcels, philatelic srvices and changing money. A lot of small shops sell stamps too, look for the notice 'We sell stamps'. Shouldn't be a problem.

London, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying stamps / mailing cards

Many places like supermarkets will only sell books of 1st and 2nd class stamps, worth 30 and 21p respectively. To send a postcard to the US (or a letter up to 10g) costs 47p, so make sure you have enough postage - you can buy 47p stamps at Post Offices and some places you can also get books of 4 'worldwide postcard' stamps.