We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of an average meal in London

Sydney
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
cost of an average meal in London

Hi all

i'm trying to work out the budget for my accomodation and meals in London... so would like to find out a cost of an average meal

i understand that it varies between people, so may be I can use the items below as reference

cost of a can of coke?

cost of a McDonald's meal?

cost of a coffee in cafe?

cost of a standard meal?

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of an average meal in London

buy a can of coke in the bar at the Ritz Hotel - it will cost you £2.50 to £3.00. Buy a can of coke in a 99p store, you will get 4 cans for £1.

Last time I purchased a big Mac, medium fries and a large coke it was £3.49

Cup of coffee in a small cafe is about £1.20, buy a medium capuccino in a posh cafe - you are looking at £3 or more

Cost of a standard meal - depends on what you have and where you have it. Standard 'pub grub' about £6 per head, dinner at top restaurant, maybe £100 + (And everything in between)

In short, this is an impossible question to answer cos there is no such thing as a typical price

Edited: 1:22 am, July 09, 2010
London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of an average meal in London

The price of say a can of coke can vary greatly depending whether it is picked up in a corner shop or a supermarket.

There is no such thing as a "standard meal" because what is standard to one person is not to another.

There are many restaurants in London to suit all budgets from McDonalds to Wagamama, Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, Giraffe, Pret a Manger (for sandwiches etc), then all the major coffee chains such as Starbucks etc. Plus lots of pubs do meals at reasonable costs. Plus shops like Marks and Spencer, and Boots have sandwiches, drinks etc. available for picnics or to take back to your room

I have recently come back from a trip to Adelaide, and with the exchange rate from GBP to AU$ I must admit I found Australia to be about the same price as London. I reckon if you budget how much you would spend in Australia plus say 15% you should get an idea. For a can of coke reckon about the same price as the convenience stores sell them for in Australia.

How many of your are there travelling, because if it is 2 of you, you can get some discount vouchers for some of the chain restaurants, but only print them just before you leave as the offers have time restraints etc on them. To give you an idea go to: www.vouchercodes.co.uk Put in restaurants and you will get a list of them. Then you can go on individual restaurant sites and find out if there will be a branch anywhere near you on your travels.

Hope this helps a bit.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of an average meal in London

>> Buy a can of coke in a 99p store, you will get 4 cans for £1. <<

Wouldn't they be 99p for 4 cans ?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of an average meal in London

Dom Joly in the pound shop:

"How much for this mate?

"Everything is a pound".

"Oh right"..... (long pause, picks something else up).... "How much for this then?"

OP: Sure, there are variables but I don't think it's that hard to give you a basic average:

Can of coke, bought from a newsagent, about 80 pence to £1.

Cost of McDonalds meal: Around £4 depending on what meal you have. (Urgh)

Cost of a coffee in an average high street cafe: £1:50-£3 depending on size.

Average "standard" meal (i.e. mid priced chain or independent) about £20-25 a head for 2 courses and a couple of drinks.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of an average meal in London

Ok Mr Picky - 99p then

Some of us put the 1p change in the charity box - generous to a 'T' eh !

Edited: 5:19 am, July 09, 2010
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of an average meal in London

I'm a pound shop man, I look down on the skinflint crusties who shop at 99p world. ;-)

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of an average meal in London

So call me a cheapskate !

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of an average meal in London

back in Yorkshire pound shops are regarded much as say John Lewis is in London. Most of us make our own clothes from coal sacking.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of an average meal in London

You don't know you're born in Yorkshire. In Suffolk we have to make our clothes from fertilizer bags.

To move on before this thread gets closed down for off-topic chat, I always get a great meal in Stockpot (one in Panton Street, one in Old Compton Street) for under £10. It cost me slightly more than that the last time because I pushed the boat and and had the steak au poivre (which comes with real vegetables!) at £7.50, followed up with apple crumble and custard at £1.95, so my glass of wine at £2 pushed me over £10.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of an average meal in London

Gee I'm thinking food prices sound very cheap compared to food here in Australia. I thought for some reason it would be much more expensive to eat there. Looks like i will be pleasantly surprised.