We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britfan ....

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Britfan ....

We leave Christmas day. I think based on our weather we shouldn't be too far out of our element in London and Edinburgh, unless it snows. (Though my mom is from Bend and takes her morning walks in the snow). Do you think I'm too far off on that thought?

I am packing my long johns, hiking socks from Sportsman Warehouse, and good Merrell Polar Mocs. My mom is a hunter and hiker in the snow - rain - cold - so she already has the necessities. I bought a light weight Columbia coat because I didn't have anything to keep the rain off (hoping all of the above layers will keep me warm.

Have you been to the UK in December/January?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from $125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
437 reviews
from $104.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from $148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from $100.10*
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Britfan ....

Hi, Gillian,

I've been to London twice the last week of January and first week of February, and once the last week of Feb. Your layers sound right. I don't know what Merrell Polar Mocs are, but my guess is warm footwear? I wore my heavy wool hiking sox every day, with a pair of oxford-like shoes or my hiking boots depending on the daily weather. My travel partners who are more stylish and wore tights were miserable because of cold feet.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Britfan ....

We flew Christmas day last year, and I also packed similar layers to you, I needed the long johns in Edinburgh, but found in London that it was too hot because we were indoors quite a lot of the time, theatre, sight-seeing, tube, shopping and everything there was so over-heated that I actually became uncomfortably hot.

I would suggest that you layer things that are easy to take off and put on.

Funnily enough I got less wet in Dec/Jan regarding footwear than I did in August. Didn't use my umbrella at all in Dec/Jan and used it so much in August and it blew inside out and broke so that I bought a new one!

By the way, if you go to Edinburgh Castle, that was the coldest I have ever been in my whole life! (but I come from Sunny South Africa)

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Britfan ....

If I may interject here....There are light weight versions of longjohns. One brand I use is Cuddle Duds. They're a nice extra layer, but not enough to make you sweat indoors. And they take up almost no packing room.

Have a great time gillianerinn. It will be interesting to hear how your traveling goes on Christmas day.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Britfan ....

Christmas Day wandering in London is definitely a day for longjohns. I spend much more time outdoors in London than indoors; when the temp is 6 I wear my silks. I also leave my outerwear (and sometimes go all the way down to my first layer) at the coat check in museums.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Britfan ....

Great information everyone! Thanks!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Britfan ....

Whatever you put on your feet make sure it's comfortable, you will be walking more than you thought possible.

And remember that you can always pop into the ladies somewhere( musems have good toilets) and take off the longjohns if you get too warm!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Britfan ....

Anemone, I've done exactly that, on an icy, freezing day-long walk in Essex. I was perfectly comfortable for the walk, but when we stepped into the Green Man in Gosfield I thought I was going to melt! It took me about 10 minutes to get the darn things off; people wondered what had happened to me. I was cold for the last leg of the walk because I didn't put the silks back on. Brr!