We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When should I purchase tickets???

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
When should I purchase tickets???

I will be in London during mid-week in February. There are several things that I want to do/see that I can purchase tickets for beforehand on-line. For instance, I definitely want to "fly" the London Eye and see a popular play (maybe Producers or Mary Poppins). Should I purchase tickets now or when I arrive in London? Not sure what the lines will be like that time of year. I'd like to wait until I'm in London, if possible. I'm really not an itinerary type of person. Thanks for your input!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When should I purchase tickets???

The London Eye do sell tickets on the day, but that still means a wait to get on and extra cost.

You can also buy theatre tickets for independant box offices, but these change a very high fee. In extreeme cases this can double the cost. How ever that may be the only way you will see Mary Poppins with only 4 weeks to go.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,851 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When should I purchase tickets???

A nice if chilly time to visit. Hope the weather stays fine for you.

For The Producers and Mary Poppins, definately buy now if you can. They are proving very popular and there would be virtually no chance of buying on the day unless you turned up and stood in line for returns.

For most other tickets, buy on the day from The Official Half Price TKTS Booth in Leicester Square.

For the Eye, it reopens on Feb 10th after a winter service. You could book from home to guarantee your time slot and avoid one line even though you shouldn't have to stand in line for very long at that time of year. Having said that, you could book a day and it could turn out wet and windy so it may be better to hang on and turn up early on your preferred day.

Have a great trip and keep asking questions,

Adam C

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: When should I purchase tickets???

I too am not itinerary oriented so I suggest the TKTS booth in Leicester Square as detailed by ADAMHORNETS. When we were in London last February we walked right up to the London Eye ticket counter, no queues, no waiting, purchased our tickets and went on the next 'flight'. After buying the tickets we were 'flying' car within 3-4 minutes. This was on a Sunday. And, of course weather is always a factor, so wait until you get there. We tour hour by hour, day by day for the most part. Too many variables that preclude buying or booking tours tickets beforehand. Have fun!

Poppa

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When should I purchase tickets???

Since it sounds like you're a more of a spontaneous traveler, then just wait to buy tickets there. Just consider what days/times would be less crowded. When I went at Thanksgiving, the London Eye was a madhouse as I walked through on the weekend. But when I went for my prepaid flight on a Tues. morning, I got right in. No crowds, it was perfect. Have fun, you'll love it!