We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guidebook help, please

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,854 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
guidebook help, please

I'll be coming to England in February 2006 - just had my air tickets booked! and I'm getting excited. I don't have a guidebook yet. If you could buy only one or two, which one(s) would they be, and why?

For what it's worth, I'll be staying with my daughter and son-in-law in Epsom, and visiting with his parents in Gosport. I won't need hotel advice, just places to see, things to do type of info. Thanks!

East Lansing...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: guidebook help, please

AngloPig is right...a combination of DK Eyewitness and Rick Steve's is best. Rick Steve's will give you lots of practical info. on stuff you might otherwise miss out on, and DK will give you great detail/pictures. I've used this combination in several locales (Spain, Paris, Italy) and am planning to again (along with an A-Zed) in London this May. Read/review both BEFORE you go, so you get an idea of what you want to do and how to do it. Have a good trip!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: guidebook help, please

Zoey - good choice on the guidebook AAA does have some great publications.

And as IowaLad writes, go to a Barnes & Noble bookstore w/cafe and devour all the London books, take notes and then stop at your local library for some more books.

As for lodging information, check for that on the WEB for most recent prices etc.

I really do like to do the B&N thing, reading about London over a great cappuccino, now that's living.

Poppa

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: guidebook help, please

We just had the same exact discussion yesterday, I believe. Go back a page or search "London Travel," a thread by lildiss73.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: guidebook help, please

As with IowaLad and Poppa, I like going to B&N and browsing thru the London guidebooks. Of course, I could stay at home and do the same - I have enough London guidebooks(over 30) to open my own branch of B&N or better yet a US Branch of Stanford's (one of my favorite bookstores in London). Bookstores are a passion. One of these years, a trip to London will be only bookstores! :)

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: guidebook help, please

Zoey, we found the AAA terrific for carrying around. But one of the bigger ones will have a lot of attractions the AAA just doesn't have room for.