We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting Places to visit in london

India
6 posts
Save Topic
Interesting Places to visit in london

Hello!

I am going to london for the first time,will be staying in cental london.

I dont want to go n visit big ben or madam tussauds,i want to go to some unusal n unexplored places?

please help me!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

Sorry, everywhere has been explored :-)

What are you interested in seeing? Museums? Churches and Cathedrals? Military history? Shopping?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

Big Ben will be hard to miss,since buses go right by it and it is visible from many parts of London.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

Highgate Cemetery (West side), Sir John Soanes Musuem, Dennis Sever's House, Pollock's Toy Museum, Thames Barrier.

India
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

Thanks for replying.

Im intrested in churches and muesems,plus some places which r close to nature,somethn like stone henge and im foodie,so i wanna try local english food!d street food.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

Less visited churches: St Clement Danes and St Brides on Fleet Street are good ones. For more in the same vein, see this list of Christopher Wren churches in London:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christopher_Wren…

Close to nature is difficult in such a busy city, but a visit to the London Wetlands Centre at Barnes is a nice half day out. London's many parks usually allow you to see a bit of wildlife too, try Regent's Park and Holland Park, which are generally less visited than Hyde Park.

Street food: We don't really do street food in the UK, our nearest equivalent would probably be a pub meal. State where you're ataying and people will chip in with suggestions on where to find a good one.

India
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

I am staying in Central London,London school of economcs!

And r thr any getaways for weekends which is cheap?n not too far!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

You could eat at Borough market mear London Bridge.

Borough Market is open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays

You can also visit Camden Market and they have food stalls at weekend but there will be plenty of crowds

Camden market is open throughout the week from about 11am to 6pm. Camden Canal Market and the antiques section of Stables market - both only open at weekends

Edited: 8:16 am, April 12, 2010
London,Uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

In the morning, go to Westminster and get a boat ticket (just by the statue of Boudicca) to Greenwich. It is less than an hour on the boat and believe me the journey there and back is just as enjoyable as what you will find when you get there: it will take you through the hart of London. From Westminster it the tower bridge and you will be passing under all the bridges, yes, including the tower bridge.

As you arrive at the Greenwich pier you will see a big thing wrapped in white "sheets". That is the famous cuty sark. Check the internet for pictures. Unfortunately it was damaged in a fire and it is under renovation and therefore closed to public.

Once in Greenwich head fro the market. (2 minutes walk from the pier). Try some foods there and have a flavour of English busy market. After that with the energy you should have by now get into the Greenwich park (another 2 minute to get in - you will be tempted by the royal college on you left. Don't go in just yet, go into the park) and head up the hill for the little building with the read ball on top. Yes, that is Greenwich observatory. You know that GMT time? That is Greenwich Meridian time and it is measured right there in from of you, at the top of the step hill. Go up and visit if you like. Anyway the view from the top of the hill is worth all the effort. I am sure you will agree. You can even have a picnic here if you are so inclined. Have a stroll around the park. There are plenty of surprises.

Now as you come down the hill when you are out of the park go right into the naval college. Here do visit the pained hall (http://www.oldroyalnavalcollege.org/the-painted-hall/ - on this page you can download a guide to the hall) and take a few minutes to read about the history of the palace. Yes, the college is actually (was to be accurate) a royal palace. Across the road is also the maritime museum. Worth a visit and it is free.

At the end of the visit(s) I strongly recommend traditional fish and chips at the Yacht pub

(http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=the+yacht+pub,+greenwich,+london&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=the+yacht+pub,&hnear=greenwich,+london&cid=3039334581896082352)

and if you are so inclined have a drink in the early 18th century tavern Cutty Sark http://www.cuttysarktavern.co.uk/

enjoy

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

Good gateways will be Bath , there is already a thread going.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k354…

Other places to visit is Oxford , cambridge , Canterbury , York .

You can get cheaper tickets If you book yr tickets 6-12 weeks early

you can also try this links

nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/booking_horiz…

nationalexpress.com/coach/Offers/funfares.cfm

if you are on budget check this link

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k135…

Here is simple bus map to help you map places.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…central_bus_map.pdf

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting Places to visit in london

You're near to the law courts then. The Old Bank of England (a very opulently decorated pub which does good pies) isn't bad but tends to have a surplus of "suits" at lunchtimes and after work. Just round the corner is the Seven Stars, which is very interesting:

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Chancery_Lane

As for weekend getaways, Brighton is probably just what you're looking for, just one hour on the train from London.