We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Amsterdam travel

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
London to Amsterdam travel

I will be traveling from London to Amsterdam (Feb 25-28). Any opinions on traveling by plane vs. ferry? Not sure which is the better value, but I think a ferry would be fun. Can you suggest where I can research ferries or which companies offer this service?

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
677 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Amsterdam travel

The ferry is fun although I have never done it in February. You take the train (Rail One) from Liverpool Street Station to Harwich International (not Harwich Town!). The trains leave at 18 past each hour from 06:18 and arrive 85 minutes later. Thus the 9:18 arrives at 10:43 and so on. The Stena Line operates the ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland, part of the Port of Rotterdam. There are ususally 4 ferry crossings per day each way and they take 3 3/4 hours. Each ferry is met at the terminal at the Hook by an Amsterdam Express train. The 48 mile journey takes about 35 minutes. In January and February though, maintenance in performed on each ferry so service is reduced to 2 or 3 crossings a day. I think the Stena website is www.Stena.com. Alternate routes go from Hull and Newcastle but Harwich is the one closest to London and is the fastest.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Amsterdam travel

You can travel via EuroTunnel to Amsterdam with only one change. Takes 5 hours 23 min, change at Brussels 36 GBP each way (80 GBP first class). You could have a couple of Brussels.

Otherwise London Liverpool Street to Harwich and the ferry to The Hook of Holland and train to Amsterdam. We found the Harwich ferry uncomfortable though. The whole craft vibrates terribly.

Plane takes 1 & half hours from London City. Traveling from Heathrow will probably add too much on to your journey. I can find any reasonable flights 134 GBP return with KLM is the best I can find tonight.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Amsterdam travel

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Eurotunnel is my best bet. Where do I pick it up at? Also, I think it may be fun to spend a couple of hours in Brussels. At least lunch, maybe. Is that an option or do I need to transfer right away?

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Amsterdam travel

To get the Eurotunnel to Amsterdam you actually need to get the Eurostar train from Waterloo International in central London to Brussels and change there.

A couple of hours in brussels for lunch is an option but I wouldn't waste much time there it doesn't have very much to recommend it apart from the beer and chocolates!

I think you'd probably be able to leave the station and return back later for your connecting train as they are different trains/services.

However, you probably wouldn't want to stay in the area right by Brussels station as not a particularly good area. So you'd need to get the metro/tram into town and then back to the station. sounds like a lot of bother just for lunch to me!

Also personally I'd fly to Amsterdam unless you particularly like long journeys or trains for the sake of them!

You can get really cheap flights to Amsterdam from London at this time of year.

EasyJet fly there and have cheap fares from both Stansted and Luton. (Both about an hour from Central London by train). Currently the cheapest I could find on www.easyjet.co.uk is about 60GBP return trip on those dates for Stansted. If you fly from Luton it's even cheaper - 33GBP return - although this does involve a very early flight out for this price.

BA also have a sale on flights at the moment and you can get flights from Gatwick or Heathrow for about 64GBP return at the moment - they leave pretty much every hour so loads of choice. Check out the BA.com website for details.

I'd say train or plane both are ok options although flying will probably be quicker even accounting for travel time and check in. Certainly wouldn't do the ferry at this time of year. If you want a boat ride save it for a canal trip in Amsterdam!

Enjoy.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Amsterdam travel

Thanks Strawberry! Think I'll fly and take your advice on the canal trip!

USA
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Amsterdam travel

Strawberry....How realible and safe is easyjet? Also how would you get from Luton to Heathrow Int'l airport. Is there one train that can take you directly? I will be traveling this summer with a 20 month old and am trying to make it as smooth as possible with a little one...LOL I was original thinking of taking the Eurostar, but easyjet seems to be cheaper for (2) adults and a child.

UK Northampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Amsterdam travel

flying is the easiest, luton have good deals all year round for about 30 return with easy jet. The train from the airport must be one of the easiest and efficient in Europe.

Flight time is 30 mins and gives you even more time there.

Train from London to Luton Parkway.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Amsterdam travel

Easyjet are usually fine but you must book in by the scheduled time - that is booked in and not still in line. They won't let you on the plane even it is running late. Something to do with fuel. Hmmm

Still the best way to go however especially at this time of year.