We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest food London

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
auckland
Level Contributor
52 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
cheapest food London

simply go to any of the supermarkets around London eg. Tescoes, Sainsubrys, Waitrose and look for the section where they put the mark down items. Maybe not all shops do this, but the ones I went to did.

Marked down due to being close to expiry dates or slow selling stock, but the food is absolutely fine.

You can get some incredibly cheap and nice meals / food eg. 1-2 pounds for a dinner. Then all you need is a microwave to heat it.

I ate very well for a week doing this for a mere fraction of what it would cost to dine out or buy takeaways.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest food London

All very well if that is how you what to spend your time on holiday?

Me I'd rather spend my time looking at the sights and spending some money so other people do the cooking and washing up.

ian480.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,546 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest food London

I'm with you Ian, don't think I would like to spend my holidays hunting down food that is almost out of date and living on ready meals. Lots of people living in this country have to do this to survive, but when on hols, surely you should treat yourself?

Edited: 3:46 pm, April 10, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest food London

I don't mind doing a bit of self catering - rather enjoy it, actually - but I wouldn't make a point of seeking out items that are hanging on to the Best Before date by a gossamer thread.

I'd rather save a bit before the holiday so I can spoil myself with goodies from M&S and Waitrose when on holiday, but that's just moi.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest food London

I really enjoy doing some self catering when in London. It was fun to see my little girls looking for the half price stickers an then spend that saved money on some "caprichos"

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheapest food London

I first arrived here and from the very first pub grub I loved it... several years later, some things just don't change... Matter of fact, just polished off a brilliant pub meal this evening. The Brits have pub meals down to a tee...

Understand where you are coming from fran1942, I guess if you're on a budget then fair call...

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheapest food London

Probably a well meaning post but I agree with the majority. I wouldnt want to spend my holidays seeking out food which was due for the dumpster any day soon.

BB

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheapest food London

>> Then all you need is a microwave to heat it. <<

Yes, but if one is staying in a budget hotel, there probably isn't a micro in the room, is there?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheapest food London

I think this is a perfectly reasonable money saving tip, and we're asked for those often enough. It is worth knowing that if you go into many supermarkets after about 3.30pm many sandwiches are reduced. They are not near the end of their shelf life, it's just that when the lunch rush is over they often want to clear them before the new stock comes in. Let's face it, there are things we make and put into our own refrigerators that aren't anywhere near as carefully monitored as the sandwiches on supermarket shelves.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,593 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheapest food London

I too think frans tip is a good one. It doesn't really take any more time to look for cheap food as it does more expensive food. And, most stuff that is "best before" is actually safe/good for longer then date listed, the best before date is timed conservatively .

As for budget hotels with a micro wave,,well, hostels DO often have shared kitchens,, and the hotel I am staying at has mini kitchenettes( whether it is considered a budget place I don't know it is 99 pounds a night, but in a very nice area)

I was actually looking forward to some of the prepared food sold in places like M@S or Sainsburys,, I had some great take out salads and curries etc from those type of places,, often better then the stuff I've paid more for in a sit down place .. and still no washing up,, since I use a plastic fork.

I like to eat out too,, and I do, but saving money on a few meals is a great idea,, and only the lucky can afford to put their noses up too high about it.

I like to finance a trip to Europe every year,, and I never go for less then 2 weeks,, so any penny I save is recycled right back into more travels. Three weeks budget style in Paris and London is totally worth alot more to me then one week in luxury.

Just personal tastes I guess( pun intended!) LOL

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheapest food London

I am also with others on this as I rather spend more time sightseeing then looking for sale by date food. But recently, I have smaller holiday breaks due to looking after disabled mum so I have on the go, crammed itinerary.

I tend to find what ever is convienent to buy food and do pick up sandwiches/ snacks for lunchs due to time factor. But i do make sure I eat / drink out, somewhere nice whenever possible.

People on budget probably do not have much choice.