We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

Which one would you choose?

I can see that most of the travel options from Southwark rely on the tube from Southwark station and the 100 bus.

Is it a better hotel, newer than the one at Liverpool Street? Is Liverpool St TL kind of run down? or shoul it be considered as a more lively area than Southwark?

Many thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,228 reviews
from $140.56*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,953 reviews
from $144.69*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
509 reviews
from $97.84*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
812 reviews
from $97.84*
Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

safe area to walk at night? from the buses/tube to the hotel?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

The TL at Liverpool Street has had some rather dire reviews, hasn't it? Given the choice between the two, I think I'd pick the Southwark property.

It's a new build, so the rooms will remind you more than a little of those at City Road (although there will be a framed print on the wall instead of just white paint). The room I had at Southwark was smaller than that at City Road but quite acceptable in terms of what TL have to offer.

The hotel is a very short walk from Southwark station, even your girls wouldn't find it a slog. I'd say it's quite safe to walk to and from the station or bus stop to and from the hotel later in the evening or early in the morning.

The 100 is always handy for connections along Fleet Street, but the 45 and 63 travel to Holborn Circus in case you needed to travel through that part of the city. There are lifts at Southwark station as well, all the way from street level to train platform.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

I stayed at the TL Liverpool Street last year and thought it was great, The room was clean, the tea and coffee making facilities all there, the TV was of a decent size, as was the bathroom. The location is good too, and the short walk to Liverpool Street through Devonshire Square is more pleasant than the area around the Southwark one.

The bad reviews don't really tie in with my experience at all. I'm also surprised that they can give 1/5 for what in some cases seem very small negatives and completely discount the positives. They do not say the rooms are dirty or uncomfortable (and I'm sure they'd have loved to if they could), simply that they were asked to pay £10 to check in early (it clearly says that on the website), or the lift wasn't working when they arrived. One reviewer even says that at £150 the price was on the high side for a weekend stay. You can only wonder when they last stayed in a hotel in London or any of the world's major cities!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

If the lift was operating when you were there and the bed was comfortable, then I'm willing to go with your review, Wansteader, and based on what you say would give that TL a go. Thanks.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

I was thinking as well that Liverpool St is great when arriving with Terravision... even at 9pm????

Probably more people around at night and travel connections are plenty to everyhere in London...and a handy Tesco right there!!!

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

OK, now it's all booked.

We have booked 2 nights at the Liverpool street hotel and 5 at the City Road hotel.

They didn't have family rooms for one of the nights at the City Road, they didn't have a family room on one of the other nights at the Liverpools street hotel and the Southwark option didn't have saver rooms foranother of the nights.

So, when the booking process put you on the track...what can you do? LOL

But now it's time to finish planning the visit in 4 weeks!!!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

Glad its all sorted, Ramon. Let's face it, when it comes down to it it's availability and price that are the biggest deciding factors. I don't think you'd have gone terribly wrong with any combination of those three. Even if there are some minor problems, I'd rather be a bit disappointed after paying Travelodge prices than be disappointed after paying the prices charged by more expensive hotels that often aren't any better. Don't forget to review the hotels!

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

I think you are totally right. The average price of the stay is 35GBP per night for a family room in London in August...so what if the biggest problem is the lift not working for a couple of days? We always travel light...we travel with Ryanair, you know? LOL

bristol
Level Contributor
400 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

i have stayed at both unfortunately when we stayed at southwark they closed the underground station (which i think they sometimes do at weekends) it was very inconvient hotel is ok

we prefer liverpool st we often come to london for the wkend fri//sat we see all the sights using underground & on sunday we dont need a ticket we walk everywhere

petticote lane market, brick lane market-very ethnic lots of different food to try

& spitalfields

if you like indian food new tayabs byo is within walking distance

10. Re: Travelodge Southwark or Liverpool street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2010