We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to London how many days would be enough

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
1 post
Save Topic
Going to London how many days would be enough

Im going to London in October, for the first time and I wanted to know how many days would acceptable to get really experience London historically and culturally inluding going to some of their pubs

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

A day to a lifetime will leave a mark on you, and Ben Johnson was right!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,905 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

My first visit was .... erm .... well, more than 25 years ago. Have been back a handful of times since then, and I'm still not yet finished discovering what the city has to offer.

Some people may be quite satisfied with a three or four day stay and others will want to stay for considerably longer. If your time is limited then I would say a visit of a few days is better than no visit at all.

Of pubs there are plenty, of varying quality. Although there is no need to restrain your search for a fine public house to the area near your hotel, once you decide where you'd like to stay you can start the search for a fab pub at www.fancyapint.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

for me,there are not enough days for London. realistically,to see the major sites,and a museum or two,and day trip, I would say ten. that would give you a leisurely pace to see and enjoy the things you really want to see in depth,rather than just things to check on a list. depends on what your interests are,and you mentioned history. that could include royal residences and palaces,maybe some old churches,the inns of court,Windsor,and maybe the British museum and the Victoria and Albert museum as well.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

www.londontourist.org

www.london-tourist-travel-guide.com

www.timeout.com/london

londonforfree.net/outdoors/…bustour.shtml

www.freelondonevents.co.uk/talkthewalk.htm

This is just a small sum of what London as to offer, there are also some hidden secrets, not on the tourist trail. Read up and get the most out of your visit.

Edited: 3:34 am, April 01, 2010
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

It all depends on what you want to do, and what else you want to do. 4-5 days in one city is usually enough for me, but other people prefer longer. There are plenty of interesting things to see outside of London as well - Oxford/Cambridge, Windsor, Bath, York etc. etc. You can even visit Paris as a (long and tiring) daytrip via the Eurostar. I suggest that you get a guidebook to the Uk, ask some more questions on here and work out what you really want to see. Enjoy the research.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

LOL nice one Nurioopta...

I am with you...

I came here for a holiday. That's was over 5 years ago and I am still finding beautiful new places to experience.

One of my mates did the same thing. Came here for a holiday and still here after 7 years.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

I have been to London more than 40 times in 20+ years. I'd love to go back right now!!! For a first visit, 7-10 days is a good time. Especially if you plan to include a day trip or so. The public tranportation in the UK is wonderful and you can do day trips by train to many interesting places. What are your interests? What is your budget? Even a few days in London make for an interesting time. If you want more than just the city you could add time in another UK location as well.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

"How many days....?"

That's the best estimate I can give, without knowing in more detail what you want to do.

What does "really experience London historically and culturally" mean?

Visit museums? See shows?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

4 days.

1 evening for a guided pub walk.

1 evening for a theatre or musical.

1 evening for a music gig and meal.

I day for a hop-on-hop off bus tour including a boat trip and guided walk.

On the other 3 days:

Allocate 3 major things to do on any particular day, means that you can see 9 of the major sites without running around too much.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to London how many days would be enough

Like other posters, I am personally of the opinion that there is no limit to the time that could be happily spent in London! However, in an attempt to be helpful for your planning, I can offer that my first trip to London, many years ago, was for 5 nights in London and three nights elsewhere in England. The 5 nights in London meant 4 full days, plus part of a day. I felt that was enough time to get a taste (and I mean only a taste) of London. Of course, that taste has resulted in many many return visits!

I took my sister for a first-time visit fairly recently: we had 7 days in London, and could have happily spent more. Depends on your available time and available budget, of course. If you're looking for enough time to be able to enjoy the city, including some "down time" in pubs and parks, etc., I'd personally recommend at least 6-7 days. But if you just want a taste, you can plan a good itinerary for fewer days.

Enjoy your trip! And remember, hopefully you will return many times.